• Register Today It's free!

My 4x4 transfer blew up :(

Chamberlain75

Reaction score
City, State
San Jose
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford Explorer XLT
Hi guys, so to make the story short, my dad was driving the Explorer and somehow the 4x4 transfer exploded. There is no damage on the tranny but there is a big hole on the transfer case, actually some parts were lost on the road. We already know what caused the blow up and it's already changed but the whole transfer is broken and I really need one. My Explorer is a 93 XLT with the 5sp manual tranny and with the electronically center diff lock/low range set up. Does somebody knows where can I find it on the internet or at least the part's number? I think it is the Borg Warner 1354. Here in Costa Rica a used 1354 from an identical XLT is around $400. I don't know if I should buy it or if I should order the parts on the internet or something like that. The official Ford dealership doesn't have parts for my car anymore :thumbdwn:

Thanks
Francisco Chamberlain

Your only real option is a junkyard then. Lucky for you, that transfer case was used on a TON of Ford Rangers and Explorers, not just the 1st gens. Try to find most any Ranger and Explorer that's 4x4 and it should have one.

Your only real option is a junkyard then. Lucky for you, that transfer case was used on a TON of Ford Rangers and Explorers, not just the 1st gens. Try to find most any Ranger and Explorer that's 4x4 and it should have one.

Nate's right on the money here...

Hi guys, so to make the story short, my dad was driving the Explorer and somehow the 4x4 transfer exploded. There is no damage on the tranny but there is a big hole on the transfer case, actually some parts were lost on the road. We already know what caused the blow up and it's already changed but the whole transfer is broken and I really need one. My Explorer is a 93 XLT with the 5sp manual tranny and with the electronically center diff lock/low range set up. Does somebody knows where can I find it on the internet or at least the part's number? I think it is the Borg Warner 1354. Here in Costa Rica a used 1354 from an identical XLT is around $400. I don't know if I should buy it or if I should order the parts on the internet or something like that. The official Ford dealership doesn't have parts for my car anymore :thumbdwn:

Thanks
Francisco Chamberlain

http://www.lkqcorp.com/en-us/Inventory-Search :thumbsup:

Back