My 91 ex registry | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My 91 ex registry

I have a 91 ex xlt 4 door, with a 5 speed manual and manual t-case.

Now on to the upgrades I have installed on the rig:

**************UPDATED LISTS 07/18/14*********

James Duff extended radius arms;
Smittybuilt XRC8 winch;
Warn (jeep style) manual hubs;
F250 shock towers;
35" Pro comp extreme MT's;
Pro comp soft 8's;
Deaver super flex springs;
Pro comp 9000's (front/rear);
JKS quick disconnects;
Shiftster manual t-case;
Spicer 5-760X ujoint and snap ring upgrade;
New tie rods and drag link;
C-clip eliminator;
5.13's front and rear;
ARB in front axle (compressor is in the works);
Trail gear sliders;
Front diff guard.

Parts waiting for install:

New/used steering gear box

Need to buy:

ARB compressor;
Doubler

Thanks for visiting my registry. :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Exact axle I have under my ranger. I highly recommend coils over leafs. I did leafs first and then swapped to coils.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I have no doubt that I will eventually go to a linked coilover setup. At this time it's more of a budget friendly swap I'm seeking. The wife ok'd everything and I don't want to blow my budget. I plan to wait sometime after this swap before I consider the next axle and suspension upgrade. I plan to do the swap myself and seems like it will be a good learning experience. I have some good upgrades planned so it should be a good time.

The links are not that much more then leafs. With leafs you need to do crossover steering. With Coils you do not need to.

I spent sometime within the last few days looking at the cost of both setups. Doing a coil set up wouldn't cost much more. The thing that was really blowing the price out of proportion is the fact that I would want to run coilovers. If I used a similar coil and shock setup to what I am currently running it would keep the cost very reasonable. So, some more research will be done. I have people telling me to go coils and people telling me to go leafs. I have seen good setups both ways so it'll be a last minute decision.

Unfortunately

I went to the 49ers/dolphins game on 12/09/12 and had a great time with the ole lady. Unfortunately, I partially dislocated my shoulder giving a high five late in the third quarter, luckily, it reset itself. The official term for this is called a subluxation. Being the fan i am, i finished my beer and watched the rest of the game. Anywho, this has put a huge speed bump for me to overcome in the process of working ot in order to by parts.

The SAS is being delayed until my injury is healed/fixed. This is the third time this shoulder has done this and it feels different than the first two times it happened. This is why I think I may have to have surgery. I am now on a modified duty and attempt to catch crooks on various cameras placed throughout the city, which sucks! Oh well. At least my shoulder will be better in the long run, hopefully.

Able to drive her once again!!!!!

I haven't been able to drive the explorer (shoulder surgery) until this week. I put on 35" pro comp mt's last October and only drove it three or four times before my injury. The last two days, I have done some maintenance on the ol girl and was able to go stretch her out today. I love the 35's. Cant wait to test them out on the trails soon.

7F-9B7B49446621-12673-00000C30B6F90934_zpsbded5a38.jpg

BC-42B4B00553CF-12673-00000C30C93E9BE1_zpsd3187d06.jpg

C5-D2A682FE851D-12673-00000C30CDC7DFEA_zps079efc5b.jpg

AC-51E9E2E35777-12673-00000C30FF372D6D_zpsfc280777.jpg

NEW PARTS!!!!!!!!!

40243336-AC41-475E-8225-5556B1F0AD33-5470-0000052918E8AC55_zpsde7271a6.jpg

7B196AFB-0A78-4A0F-ACEC-A55F5355224B-5470-00000529280A3167_zps937befd9.jpg

In the words of the famous Homer Simpson, " WOO-HOO!" I love me some new parts.

Looking good. I get back to Fresno early May and hope to get to hitting the local trails often.

A bunch of my buddies and I are going to do Dusy in August. The 1-5 if you're interested feel free to join in on the trip.

Ok... ran into a small road bump today.... while taking off the lower bolt which holds the radius arm onto the driver side axle assembly, I noticed it was loose. I looked into the axle housing and saw the weld in nut/bung had broken the weld. So, my neighbors heard a choice word or two and I cut the bolt head off and pulled it through. Gonna either A) weld bung back in or B) use my spare axle housing. Option B sucks cause I have to disassemble the entire spare axle. May just try to weld bung back in, but then I'd need to extensively clean the inside of the axle housing, which may take just as long as taking the spare axle apart. Oh, well. Like I said... just a small road bump.

Got front axle and diff off today... this is what I found :eek:

Broken bearing cap inside the diff.... Please if you haven't, do some maintenance on your rig... check things out now while in a controlled environment and it will save you a headache on the trail.

Ouch. Glad you found it before you hit the trail. August 1-5 on Dusy sounds interesting. I will have to take a look at my schedule when the time gets closer. Need to do a ton of maintenance on my ranger over the next few months. I am hoping to get my truck back together enough to hit the Fresno 4wd run for the hills run in May. Used to be mountain toppers run.

Yeah I'd like to do that for a trial run on the refreshened parts I'm in the middle of putting on. I started going to the 4WD Club of Fresno meetings recently and I plan on joining. They were talking about that run at the last meeting I went to. I'd love to be able to go, but wheeling funds are kinda tight right now, as I am not able to work any OT.

Got some painting done this weekend.

Still have a few coats of paint left to shoot, but its coming out ok.

I haven't finished the front end yet. Hopefully I'll get to it this weekend. I have reinstalled the front axle (with new ball joints), coil mounts, shock towers, radius arms, tie rods, drag link and coils. I hope to have the axles with snap ring upgrade, c-clip eliminator, wheel bearings, spindle bearings and new bearing cap for the cracked one in the diff installed this weekend. I'll have pics of progress up soon.

I decided to wait, save some money and build the dana 60 that I really wanted to build when I got the dana 44. I bought the dana 44 from a buddy who gave me a steal of a deal that I couldn't pass it up. Thing is I dont want to build and spend a bunch of money on multiple axle builds. I just dont have the time to do that, soooo, I'm just going to do it twice instead of three times. :thumbsup: Plus, right now I cant work OT for parts cause I am waiting to get off of light duty, had shoulder surgery. I am funding the TTB rebuild with parts I had started saving for the SAS and what the wife says I can spend. I only have a couple hundred dollars into it so far. I plan to do a 1 ton swap either this coming winter or next winter. Thanks for your service! :salute: I was in Baghdad from June 04 - June 05. Glad you made it home.

I decided to wait, save some money and build the dana 60 that I really wanted to build when I got the dana 44.

I am funding the TTB rebuild with parts I had started saving for the SAS and what the wife says I can spend.

I only have a couple hundred dollars into it so far. I plan to do a 1 ton swap either this coming winter or next winter. Thanks for your service! :salute: I was in Baghdad from June 04 - June 05. Glad you made it home.

Makes sense on building one axle.... might as well build the one you want.

I know all about the "wife says I can spend x.. amount" So you save your butt off for months and then it's like Christmas, birthday, honeymoon all wrapped into one.

I was in Baghdad from Aug 05- Jul 06 1st Brigade 10th Mountain Division 1-87 Infantry. I was a mechanic, and this is who we supported. I almost didn't make it back, had a bullet zip by my head 3 days before we left country.

Small world. I was with the 58th CEC 11th ACR out of Ft. Irwin. We deployed attached to 2nd BDE 10th Mtn division. I meet some good people from Ft Drum. Lost some good people to. Well, we're gonna have to wheel together sometime.

Back