My 91 XL 4wd 5sp. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My 91 XL 4wd 5sp.

year: 1991
model: XL
state: New Mexico
City: Albuquerque

Ok, first off. I'm new here to this forum. My name is Jeremiah, I'm 18 just out of high school and have been buying, fixing, and then selling cars for the last two years to get the money to buy my dream truck. I wanted either an 89 or 90 BroncoII, or a first gen. explorer. It needed to be 4x4 and have a 5speed manual trans. Low miles and in really good shape. I found this 91 XL four door on craigslist one day 152,000 miles on the truck with 40,000 on the engine and clutch. Body and interior in great condition and I thought the color looked awesome so I decided I had to have it. I am also very happy I got the ex. over the bronco. The 4.0 feels way better than the 2.9. Plus with four doors I have way more room. So enough of my talking here are the pics from when I got it two weeks ago up to today. I have added some off road lights to the stock bumper, which is not going to stay on the truck much longer and I took a can of spray on bedliner to the bumpers because the chrome looked out of place on the black on black truck.

downsize-24.jpg

downsize-23.jpg

downsize-20.jpg

downsize-19.jpg

downsize-25.jpg

downsize-26.jpg

just a small curb for a little flex in my work parking lot.

downsize-22.jpg

downsize-21.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks. I'm happy to have a first gen. I just think the early 90's Ford body style was the best looking style they had.

nice x u got there u plan on doing other mods to it

^ Yeah. In the next year and a half while I am going through college I am just going to do some small stuff. This weekend I am going to finish up a custom center console, with cupholders away from the shifter, a nice locking lid, and a cool toggle switch panel for my two aux lights, my siren, and I am going to put in a couple of blank switches for future ad ons. In the next couple weeks I am going to get rid of my auto hubs and get some manual lockers.

The stock bumper has to go, and is getting replaced with a beefier one. Still up in the air about if I am going to buy or build that part. I'm also going to run a snorkel and I am going to build a cat-back for now using a flowmaster super 44 off road muffler. After I poked a hole in the brand new muffler it came with.

Then starting september first until January of 2012, I wont be doing much as I will be in Arizona for school and the apartment complex I am going to be living in doesnt like cars getting worked on. There wont be much going on. I do plan on putting in a better clutch while I am down there, so I can do a little wheeling in Sedona while its not that far of a drive.

Sedona is where I first fell in love with four wheel drives, when we took a jeep tour when I was little. So I'd like to take my truck out there and have a little fun. But after I get out of school, the project will take off. I dont want to say too much now, because plans can change but I have an idea of what I want and thats what is going to get me through school, so afterwards I can hopefully make enough money to get what I want. I will start a build thread later on, after I do the console and some other things, where I will document everything over the next couple of years.

I Gotta say that I NEVER thought about taking the stock rims & painting them Black. I love that look!
Always thought the aluminum rims were the bomb, but seeing yours & I got to do that!

Great ride.

I wish my 4dr X was a 5sp. Heck, I didn't even know they offered that combo when I bought mine way back in 1994.

Back