My 92 XL with lots of pics and my website link | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My 92 XL with lots of pics and my website link

Hey all, I've been lurking for about a year and have learned a lot as well as gotten ambitious enough to break of lots of bolts in the process of installing new toys so I thought I'd let you all see what you've helped me accomplish!

Please respond and let me know what you think of the truck and my page, I'm trying to do something helpful by having the mod's pics online for all to see.

These are 2 pics of my explorer flexing just a month ago after I got around to doing some mods.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks good! :thumbsup: So your running 32's with just a spacer/shackle lift? If so how much fender trimming did you have to do?

Looks good, paint still in great shape it looks like.

I had to do barely any trimming in the front at all...but man is it a close fit. When I first put them on it wouldn't rub at all on just normal street driving and they would only rub a tiny bit when about 3/4 of the way to full compressed. So I let them polish the wheel wells to let me know where i had to trim for two weeks and then I knew exactly where to trim.

I would recommend going 31's for anyone with just spacers/shackles/add-a-leafs. I was able to have them tested before putting them on which was convenient. If my truck sagged even 1/2 an inch in the front I'm going to have to either do more trimming or put on some more lift... go 31's if you're worried about the fit and you don't have to worry a bit.

Check out my webpage for more info on the mods and what it looked like at each stage if you're interested.

d

Paint is still in very good shape. Some of the window seals started saggin but a little silicone clue later they're back in place and not leaking a bit. The only problem I've got is the rust under the rear doors like most people have. I'm not quite sure what I can do to fix these... any ideas? Last time I just bondo'd and repainted a little bit and it lasted another 5 years. However this time they rusted all the way through which is a real pain so any suggestions would be greatly appriciated!

d

Yeah I checked out your website(looks great by the way) and I have the exact same thing as you (spacers/shackles/AAL.) I'm thinking about going 32's and a body lift in the future so I should not have too much of a problem of rubbing with the 32's. BTW: that paint does look good. As far as the rust I'm not sure what to do about that. I think new metal would be the only way to fix that.

with a body lift of even just and inch you'd have no problem at all. the trimming was very minor and even with some sag wouldn't be a ton. the one thing to look out for is where the bumper wraps around. With the tires turned for maximum interference (which is not quite full lock) they clear the edges of the bumper by about 1/2 inch. This is the stinking point because you can't really "trim" your bumper without it being quite noticable. find a place to flex it like i did in the pictures and have a measurement to see if you will rub or not.

d

Back