My 94 Explorer XLT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My 94 Explorer XLT

Well I got bored and decided I should go ahead and post my Explorer in the Registry along with the only pictures I have of it. I will also use this thread to post updates and information on any and all upgrades and/or items replaced along with the cost of replacing them.

I got this explorer a few months back when my father traded for it. I ask him if he would trade it to me and of course he said yes. So the headache begins ;)

182k miles, Full power, sunroof and auto rearview mirror. Bone stock 4.0 OHV with bad main bearings and stock A4LD trans.

So far I have done the basic things. Oil change, new plugs and wires. Replaced the tires, rainX wiper blades. I did install new RA bushing on the passenger side, Moog from advance auto they were about $45. The passenger side was already pretty much gone so I only replaced that side so far anyways.

I switched that side's RA out with one from a local junk yard because it had bounced around and wore a two inch long gash.

I replaced both transmission cooler lines to my aux cooler a month or so ago, They were leaking. My front main seal has a small leak, I added a quart of lucas the day I changed out my vacuum modulator.

I also found a receipt from autozone where a past owner replaced the shocks in 1997. They now need replaced of course. I've also now broken two lower shock bolts on my passenger side RA. I'll be getting a kit from Napa tomorrow to fix it for the last time until the new JD RA's :)

New rotors, repacked the bearings, Used front pads from junk yard(nearly new and rusted but FREE), new rear shoes, new wheel cylinders.

Here are some pictures.

100_0804.jpg

100_0805.jpg

100_0806.jpg

100_0807.jpg

100_0808.jpg

100_0809.jpg

100_0817.jpg

These pictures were all taken on the same day. It had started to rain and I decided to play a little bit before I took that picture ^^^ I pretty much buried the back tires and thought to myself. Oh crap my four wheel drive doesn't work, I may get stuck :scratch: but when I let off the brake my explorer just pulled it's self out of the muddy corn field. 3.73 L/S maybe? IDK

100_0816.jpg

Rust damage is worse on this side. The drivers side is not nearly as bad.

Since those pictures were taken I've removed the mud flaps and running boards. The rust looks much worse now but should be fixed and at least primed soon.

I have plans to get the engine rebuilt next spring. I also plan on lifting it sometime next year.

Next month I should be replacing the leaking radiator, May order James Duff extended radius arms. I like the way they are made and the new mounts look a lot better then the sock ones.

I should be replacing the mass airflow unit and transfer case shift motor this week.

100_0814.jpg

The engine compartment looks worse now with the radiator leak and I had a power steering leak today that I already fixed.

I still have to....

Replace the shocks, Radiator (All aluminum replacement next month) Fix the rust. Fix the passenger seat part where the seat belt piece slides when the seat moves up is sticking.

Now sitting at 184,x.. miles.

I will update this as I fix problems and cause new ones :p:

Rebuilt T/C shift motor, replaced broken shock bolt, cleaned the MAF and reset the computer. 10/15/2009

It rides a little better but the shocks still need replaced. T/C shift motor is broken again :(

Flushed the radiator 10/17/09

Cleaned my IAC valve and eliminated my rough idle. Maybe now I can get more then 10 MPG average in town :D 10/26/2009

I've also located a used engine to act as my replacement next year when I get my current stock one rebuilt. While having it rebuilt it will be bored 60 over with mostly new internals including a new crankshaft, injectors, fuel regulator, and 60mm BBK TB and some kind of new intake. I will then try to find a dyno that is near by to run it on and check the HP and foot LB's at the rear wheels to see if it has noticeable improvement over factory stock 4.0's.

The used engine will get my old TB, injectors, throttle cables, and fuel regulator while being in my ex while the other is rebuilt. It may take me months to get it completely rebuilt that is why I found another 4.0 with 112,x.. miles on it for $250 ;)

I also lost the inside shock bolt from my new kit I got from auto zone. I replaced that for now...... Topped of the trans because the main seal is leaking also :(

Thanks all for now.

Edited 06/21/2011

Upper ball joint Dana 35 9.83 each (purchased)
Lower Ball Joint Dana 35 9.83 each (Purchased)
Coil Springs $73.79
KYB front gas shocks $38.89 Any opinions on this brand?
KYB rear gas shocks $41.99
Radius arm bracket front passenger $52.78
Power steering pump W/O reservior $49.89 Plus core
Transfer case shift motor $75.79 (Won't get if I find a manual transfer case)
Front and rear bumpers $40.00 (maybe)
Used Radiator $50 (Will get)
Warrior 153 shackles $70 (Old ones are rusting)
Used Radius Arms from member, Price is unknown

Total =$532.45
Not counting rims and tires.

Purchased the new ball joints from Rockauto, 5% off plus shipping for a total of $45.68
The price had gone down since I created my parts/price lists above.

Detailed break down, sales ticket.
Part Number Part Type Price EA Quantity Total
1994 FORD EXPLORER 4.0L 245cid V6 MFI (X) OHV
AUTO EXTRA / CHASSIS RITE AXK8673 Ball Joint $ 9.07 2 $ 18.14
AUTO EXTRA / CHASSIS RITE AXK8676 Ball Joint $ 8.96 2 $ 17.92
Discount $ -1.80
Shipping Ground (FedEx or UPS) $ 11.42
Order Total $ 45.68

-Currency
October 13th 2009

0908112236.jpg

Not sure if that picture really shows how bad something is messed up or not. Inside of the tire is wearing, just guessing, ten times faster than the outside. Since they have just 21k miles on them, I am guessing they won't another 8k miles. It's just the front drivers side, passenger seems fine. :(

0908112234a.jpg

0908112234.jpg

Pictures of the explorer sitting in her new garage. Sadly enough its already full of crap and I've only lived in the new house for less than two weeks now. Moved in on September 3, 2011.
Also removed the roof rack, even more sad is that the explorer was just an inch or so from the garage door when pulling in. With it all the way in and the door shut, I have like two feet in the front and maybe one and half feet behind the explorer.

0908112233.jpg

Someone loosened the lugs on my back left rim, broke one wheel stud and messed the rim up. Currently in the market for another one. Would pay around $50 plus shipping if need be.

Updated,
September 8th 2011

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Lookin solid! My explorer is the same color except it's a 93. What size tires are you running? They look good.

Factory recommended size, 235/75R15's. Good year wranglers I got from a local tire place. About $345. Walmart had the same ones for $60 each but they charge separately for everything and it cost about the same I would say.

The old tires were more of a street tire with one A/T on the front passenger side. That's the side I have problems with, Breaking shock bolts, RA problems, alignment problems. You name it that side has it :p:

I looked to see if I have a close up shot of the tread pattern but I don't.

Here is one I found online.

GoodYearWrangler.jpg

I've gotten some comments on these to be honest. Most of them were asking the size because they appear to be larger then 235/75R15's :dunno:

I guess they are OWL all season radial's from what came up on my google search. I had them mount the white letters out because I think that looks best with those tires. I plan on getting 31's next year and maybe selling these. Should have less then 10k miles when I replace them. :(

Yeah...they do look larger than 235's to be honest. But whatever, they look rugged!

I do like them but found that they love to hold the mud in the treads when driving on trails. I don't know if it was because I was driving slow or if it's the tires tread pattern. They sling the mud once you hit the road. I've also had them in some smaller mud holes and never had any problems like getting stuck. So I can't knock them any. They are quite on the road also. I would recommend them if your not doing to much off roading.

she looks real strong!... the tires do look great

doubt its a limited slip, i dont think the first gens had them.
look up your axle code and compare to the explorer chart here and you can find the dif, and gearing.
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/Axles.html

clean the filament on your maf before replacing it, often that fixes all problems with the sensor.

Thanks for the good comments.

I triple checked the door sticker, It says this.

Body -K6
Trans - T
Axle - D1
Spring - WU
Manufactured date - 11/93

From the website you sent me to it says.

Code D1 = L/S 8.8", Capacity = 3200 I'm guessing pounds, Ratio = 3.27

Maybe I'm one of the lucky few? :dunno:

A vin check also shows it as a 94 XLT 112" wide body explorer :dunno: on that one either :(

edit: btw can anyone tell me about the liftgate reinforcement bracket recall on these? carfax shows it as the only recall left for my baby but the liftgate seems just fine to me

wow looks like you do have and limited slip, sweet! your lucky.
all the first gens were the same width whether it was 4 or 2 door, so idk what wide body would mean.

there was a recall for the liftgate, but if your works fine, ford wont replace the brackets, so just hope it keeps workin, and if it ever fails, head to the stealership.

wow looks like you do have and limited slip, sweet! your lucky.
all the first gens were the same width whether it was 4 or 2 door, so idk what wide body would mean.

there was a recall for the liftgate, but if your works fine, ford wont replace the brackets, so just hope it keeps workin, and if it ever fails, head to the stealership.

Thank you. I don't plan on regearing for a while. I have 3.27's but fyi I need at least 3.55's to run 31's lol

I put in some work on my baby today. Clean my MAF and reset the computer. I have it tore apart atm so I won't get to drive until tomorrow. Will check my 02 sensors because I'm getting codes from those also.

I really just finished tearing my T/C shift motor apart. That little bump stop thing is no more. So I'll try to figure out a way to rig one up or find a replacement piece for it somewhere..... But where? Ford maybe? hehe I'll have a 4wd again :p:

I cannot wait, It's not worked since I traded for it.

The last owner said. "The 4wd works but the lights won't come on for it" WTF it never worked and the lights did come on once but I had company if you know what I mean.

So hopefully I'll have the CEL issue fixed tomorrow after cleaning the O2's and the MAF. Put the T/C shift motor back in and woohoo :)

Off I go. But until then I'm off to search for that little bump stop thing.

Also didn't flush the radiator today because it was raining and cold, I just did everything else. Oh also fixed the shock bolt with a replacement one from auto zone. part # 31001 and it cost about $6.41 after tax ;)

Edit: imo that shock bolt from auto zone is too short on the RA side. I did get it as tight as I could and hope I don't break it before I get the James Duff extended radius arm's and hopefully dual shock setup :D

I'll keep an eye out for something in need of repair that hopefully has those gears in it. I know where a 80's ish jeep is at with a lift for $300, Oh and it has 35's so maybe it's the one :shifty_ey

Oh btw, my explorer now has four wheel drive once again :)

Hey man that's the first pics i've seen of you're explorer. looks pretty good, i like the color.
it's got the rust in the usual place i see. i think the running boards are the culprit of rust starting there. that's my theory anyhow.

my '93 has rust on the roof, due to the roof rack. its leaking a little too. i think next summer I'll take out the windshield, remove the headliner, remove the roof rack, and weld patches into all those damn holes... then get a new windshield and headliner (old windshield is cracked anyhow) that'd be a good improvement i think.

Hey man that's the first pics i've seen of you're explorer. looks pretty good, i like the color.
it's got the rust in the usual place i see. i think the running boards are the culprit of rust starting there. that's my theory anyhow.

my '93 has rust on the roof, due to the roof rack. its leaking a little too. i think next summer I'll take out the windshield, remove the headliner, remove the roof rack, and weld patches into all those damn holes... then get a new windshield and headliner (old windshield is cracked anyhow) that'd be a good improvement i think.

Thank you, May change the color next year.... maybe. already have the paint so only have to buy the clear.. :cool:

I believe the running boards caused it also, another bad design if you ask me, same thing with the bump stop in the T/C shift motor. But they didn't know it and figured the vehicle would have been replaced after 15 years anyways ;)

rust should be expected because not everyone has a garage. I'm debating on removing my roof rack as well. 100 pound limit and I'll most likely never use it anyways.

My front windshield is cracked on the top passenger side, The cracks finished growing but if I hit something on that side it may start again.

I'm happy to say my headliner is in good shape, If it needed replaced my dad does that kinda thing in his shop so it would most likely cost me the glue. I'm lucky in that aspect but he promised to get my first vehicle on the road as he promised my brothers. Other then the mustang I use to have this is my first legal vehicle that I own and don't pay payments on. He does help me and most of the time will drop what he's doing to help or run to the junk yard. I won't complain to much.

My passenger side which you can't see in the pictures has a dent that runs from front to back. An easy fix and it didn't mess up the paint. The hood on the other hand looks pretty bad. Down to bear metal in some places and lot's of nicks as well.

Still thinking of painting it black, Maybe use the bedliner spray in the engine compartment or under coating. I would love to undercoat the entire frame but that may end up being a hassle. This spring one of my buddies will be making me all new custom AC lines and I'll charge it up then. On need now with winter nipping at my toes.

yeah the pictures make it look better then it really is :p:

Body wise though it really does look pretty good. The rust annoys me but I think I'll work on that sometime next week, But I may not get the time because finals are due next week and I've not started on them yet. :(

One is an essay I think one the career I want to be in or something like that. 1,500 plus words. Anyone in IT working as a network engineer? :D

I cleaned my MAF and it needs replaced. I still get the code for it and the others are still there. But now it revs higher on startup and if you don't stay with it, it will kill itself. Also my T/C shift motor only worked for two days :(

I pulled it back apart from under the truck and everything looked fine, bolted it back on and still a no go. I'll spring for a new one asap. Same with the MAF.

I also flushed my radiator yesterday because it got below freezing last night. It was nasty at first, almost appeared to look like puss coming out of it :(

It's now full of 50/50 until it leaks enough out to worry about filling it back up again. I've noticed it will clean the overflow out about every four days. So I just top it off with more 50/50 to the cold line mark on the tank. That still needs replaced, Advance only carry's one's like stock so they can't help me with an all aluminum radiator :(

So now that it's back in 2wd mode I may pull the shift motor off and take a spin over to foote's tomb followed by my brother in case I get stuck. Then I'll try to manually shift it on the T/C into 4high. Need to take some chain saws up there anyways because the damn logging crew has been filling up all the mud holes with logs. So I'll use my brothers pump to suck most of the water out of the holes and then drag the tree's out and cut'em up.

I've been working on my finals all day, I have to turn in an 80% complete rough draft in 11 hours for one class and I just had a go around with my ex's mother. so I'm perturbed and just want to tear up some mud.

BTW. The owner of Foote's Tomb is my lawyer, She gave me a hand written letter stating I have permission to be back there anytime I want, and I have permission to maintain the trails by any and all means necessary. She cost me $2,600 so that's the least she can do ;)

Cops have been giving trouble to people they find going in or out of there, That's why I ask her for the letter ;)

lol as I found out there's a hole into the transmission from the shift motor. The magnetic plug you pull out with the wire... Apparently without it, fluid drains out. haha I drove like that for a day until I saw my whole undercarriage bathed in red tranny fluid... lets just say I topped it up REALLY fast after I saw.

So I wouldn't suggest driving without the shift motor on. Or at least plug the hole up somehow.

I seen that. Not noticed any fluid coming out yet. But it only stayed in 4high for five minutes before it decided it had enough and shifted out on it's own. I won't have 4wd until I can figure out a way to keep it from shifting out again. I had no gears at all at that moment in time and no park either, It would grind gears if I tried shifting it into par, So I had to put it in neutral and shut if off before putting it in park. Crawl under my ex in the mudd and shift it back into 2wd. :(

I only made it to the main trail, Not even far enough in to knock it out of 4high, But it did. So I just got pissed off and left then :(

Thought I fried the tranny, Would really have been mad then. Then I would have had to push it back out of the way and leave it or find it a ride home. I live on a dead end road near the gas company has some sort of plant back at the dead end, If I were to ride a dirt bike around there fence line I would make it back to Foote's tomb in a few minutes, Otherwise it's one hell of a walk. I also went alone because my brother was asleep. So it would have just been me trying to push a 4,500 pound SUV in the mud :(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No new updates yet, Been job hunting over the past few days. Planning on cleaning the back of my ex out today. It looks really bad with crap everywhere. So I'll clean it out and sweep it up real good. Only have about $0.50 to my name so she sits at an 1/8th of a tank of gas for now. Going to top the radiator off because she's sucked the overflow tank dry once again.

Should be getting a digital camera sometime next month so I'll be able to post pictures more often or the updates she gets. But until then I'll try to keep her cleaned up on the inside, The outside will most likely continue having mud on it until spring. ;)

Back