My 95 exp sport

deltaclothingco

Drinkin' beers and bangin' gears
Reaction score
City, State
BAY*AREA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 expo sport
Starting a build thread for myself. The only time I drive this thing is usually camping or beating it out in the dirt lot by my shop. Probably going to be a very slow build but nevertheless I have plans for it.

Bought it at an online auction in November of 2016 for $395. It said run and drive. I loaded it on my trailer and took it straight to Pismo...happy bday to me. Turned out it ran absolutely perfect and had BRAND NEW good year tires. It was clean in and out.

I thought long and hard about what I wanted for a dune rig. I've had several Suzuki samurai, sidekicks (forgot I still have one now), geo trackers, 2 door and 4 door Tahoe's, dozens of Toyota trucks, wrx's, Audi allroads etc. I wanted a manual 4wd with power and a short wheel base. The 5.0 explorer would require a tcase/trans swap and is a little longer. I decided it needed to be a 4wd exp sport for the ability to switch into 2wd and throw it sideways. I searched for a while and this one came up which was exactly what I wanted.

db0e8a4f-9aa8-4cbb-a146-3b3b446dfbce_zpssqe34scd.jpg

3f303c33-c27a-4739-bdd4-10ee36263940_zpsd1n3lwhz.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Step one was to see how well she performed in stock form. I was obviously driving so a friend text me the videos...sorry about the quality.

And

So now that I know she runs... It was time to start the destruction process

Step one...put the kid to work

IMG_20170204_123215_zpsbgebgpud.jpg

Step 2 measure...very roughly
IMG_20170429_143630_zpstocxnoll.jpg

Step 3 dbap (don't be a p***y) just go for it. Who cares it was $395
IMG_20170429_150041_zpsjbeuhwku.jpg

IMG_20170429_151638_zpsfoyfggod.jpg

IMG_20170429_152552_zpsqeoefo18.jpg

Next step was to put all the inside trim in, windows back on and make it look like it was supposed to be that way, sort of.
IMG_20170429_170620_zpsgoyttapq.jpg

I debated leaving the trim how it was and when the roll bar goes in just heat up the trim around it but it looked too much like the roof was still there. So that got the axe

IMG_20170429_171311_zpsaojvgyjk.jpg

Here's how she sits for the night
IMG_20170429_174228_zps0zlvrk0e.jpg

Oh ya. The stock headlights we're useless in the dark so I added a 40 or 42" lightbar to the front also. Works like a champ and I think I got it for $50 on Amazon

For the tailgate I'm probably going to cut the window out of the original one and make a latch, or weld it shut. I really can't think of a reason I would need to open it besides getting to the tail lights

I really can't think of a reason I would need to open it besides getting to the tail lights

That's a valid reason. I pulled a set of Mazda Navajo taillights in the junkyard, but I could not get the hatch to open. Took lots of time. lots of bending with Channellocks, to gain access to the mounting screws, and have enough room for removal.

Now THAT is cool!! :cool2:

There is a new Sport on craigslist every week that can be had for $1500 or less. Cool, cheap beach cruiser/trail adventurer!

IMG_20170429_174228_zps0zlvrk0e.jpg

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Updates?

The stock headlights we're useless in the dark so I added a 40 or 42" lightbar to the front also. Works like a champ and I think I got it for $50 on Amazon

I love the direction this is headed in.

Nice lightbar. How do you have it mounted?

Also, do yourself a favor and get replacement headlights if you ever plan on driving this thing at night. You can get a set of halfway decent drop in replacements for peanuts on Amazon, and they will make a huge difference at night. Safety isn't something you want to cheap out on.

I'm back!

My business and my kids have had me super busy. Since the birth of my twins (January 2017) Im either working or at home. However, I just pulled the explorer out of storage and brought her down to Pismo again. I couldn't be happier with my choice of a vehicle to beat on.

My uncle has an LJ Jeep that he always tries to tell me how to build my rig. He's never been to the sand. I unloaded the exploder and promptly laid it to the floor. I spent the next hour completely embarrassing him and his Jeep. A Completely stock 95 explorer with street tires and sawzalled roof, out climbed and out ran the Jeep in every which way. I then spent the weekend with my almost 60yr old mom in the passenger seat egging me on to mess with the group of Toyota guys. This thing never stops making me happy.

The exploder is now back at home and I have some tubing I'm picking up for phase 2.

Another shot of the front. Only issue I'm having with it is in have to re tighten the side bolts all the time. Keeps getting knocked lose from jumping and smashing into dunes. I need some loctite on there.

MVIMG_20171111_132941_exported_6076395950851800814.jpg

A couple action shots.
Landing isn't as bad with out the weight of the back hatch, but it's still not easy on me or the stock suspension

IMG_20171111_152314.jpg

IMG_20171111_152314_1.jpg

IMG_20171111_152315.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Unless you do a long travel suspension I would suggest upgrading the front torsion bars to a stiffer bar and the rear leaf packs to a four door leaf pack to replace the mono leaf, and of course some good shocks, then maybe some hydraulic bump stops should help with all the dune jumping lol and a life time alignment while your at it.

Looks like a lot of fun wish I had dunes like that to jump at the 4wd beaches im local too the one big dune like that I know of the tall to it is chained off and posted as private property.

Back