My 95 Ranger "The Squirrel" gets new tunes.. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My 95 Ranger "The Squirrel" gets new tunes..

Tbars4

Moderator Emeritus
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
anaheim hills,california
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4
..A few years ago I lost the tape player bouncing around on the Mojave trail ad a couple years ago I got an intermittent short when it rained which has been followed by a random left front speaker disappearing and when I have the lights on in the daytime mountain driving I couldn't see the display..

..Other than that, the radio worked fine but since I spend a lot of time out in the backcountry I am often out in between major cities and the radio would either go to static or read two different stations back and forth..

Time for a new radio..

..The only things I was looking for is, the best reception in remote areas from a quality radio at a cheap price, and something I could see and test out in person and pick up now...

..It seems like Kenwood, Sony, and Pioneer are the common current flavor of stereos within my budget and after talking to several shops the HD radios have the best stereo tuners..

..HD radio is like a seperate band of even better quality stations with High Def broadcast and they are free..Be sure to check your area for these stations first but if you travel it gives you even more choices and again, it's free.

More info on HD radios and if there are stations in your area can be found here.. http://hdradio.com/

...I have had Pioneer radios before and the "SuperTuner" series has always fit this bill as in great reception for out in the middle of nowhere and when traveling long distance between major cities....

...The option I did not elect to chase was the bluetooth as I already have this on my GPS and my phone works with it just fine plus it would be at least $20 to hundred more for this option with HD radio if I could find it locally and it seemed to be easier to find in Double dins.

..Single Din or Double Din?

...The first decision I had to make was a single or dbl din for the Ranger..I can easily make a double din fit in the standard Ford din and a half space by doing a little trimming to the bezel..

..The price was the major factor for deciding plus I don't need more stuff on my radio..The single dins run abut 100 and up while the dbl dins run about 230 and up..If I did get a dbl din I would want dvd plus tv tuner capabilities but this is in a single cab small truck so not much room plus the price would be thru the roof..

...The big seller for me was if I got a single din, the trim kit has a cubby hole to store the remote (If I use it), my phone while it's charging, and some business cards...

..In a small truck with no storage pockets, cubby holes, or anywhere else to stash stuff, not so much as a cup holder so I use the arm rest box to hold my drink, additional storage is a welcomed feature..:biggthump

What I got..

...After running around to several shops and price matching online, it seemed like all the radios are the same price when new..But I did work a deal on the price of the radio, trim kit, wiring harness', and 3 year warranty for a buck fifty...

I wound up getting a Pioneer x5700HD single din radio..

Link to it's feature's info..
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/CD-Receivers/DEH-X5700HD?tab=overview

..and from Crutchfield..
http://wwv.crutchfield.com/p_130X5700HD/Pioneer-DEH-X5700HD.html

..A few other items yet mentioned that sold me on this set up..

a) Having an android I can charge my phone in the usb point, storage for my phone while charging instead of on the dash or seat, and I can play pandors (don't have) or any music thats on my phone at the same time it is charging..

B) 59 additional stations in HD quality in my area and a few of them are stations I already like sot hats a huge bonus in sound quality.

c) I can plug a usb stick in and listen to music, old time radio shows, or even lectures and books on tape for long drives.

d) did I mention I gain more storage (Although it is small it works)

e) It has an "Anti-Dust Design"..More to follow concerning this..:hammer:

...A product video for reference..This is last years model the DEH 5600HD being shown which is the same but the new model DEH 5700HD has all the system upgrades..

..and some install info to follow..:hammer:

Back