My 95 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My 95

Vikram

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Ford Explorer XLT 4W
First of all I'm impressed there's such a huge and active explorer community :)

this is my dads 95 which he let me borrow for the winter, its a 95 but still looks and runs like new, he takes amazing care of his cars.

Today I'm going to pick up a spectre air filter and will put it in the air box and remove the silencer to squeeze out a little power

one really cool thing about this explorer is its a manual transmission, they didnt make very many of these. ive been wanting to drive it since i was 16 but i never got to until now, im 25 now.

I'm also looking at changing out the stock tail lights and head lights to more modern styling. My dad also added a lot of cool things to the car as you can see from pics:

this pic was taken like a week ago:
IMG_20140826_120157_zps4d789lrf.jpg

I'm also thinking of changing out the tail lights and head lights to these - how ya think they will look?

these tail lights:

http://www.anzousa.com/media/catalo...eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/2/1/211083_10.jpg

and these headlights:

btw yes, right now everything is 100% original mechanically, parts that had to be replaced (battery, etc) were replaced with ford/motorcraft parts :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

also i was wondering if anyone can tell me: i got a ford key fob and i turned the car power on and of 8 time but it doesnt go into programming mode (where the doors lock nd unlock by themselves) so does that mean the car doesn't have keyless entry?

also it still has stock cassette player and i tried using a phillips cassette adapter, and it just got stuck lol - guessing i need to replace the deck if i want to play Cds?

That is a very clean nice looking truck! Welcome to the site!

Also awesome to see a manual transmission in a 4 door!

also i was wondering if anyone can tell me: i got a ford key fob and i turned the car power on and of 8 time but it doesnt go into programming mode (where the doors lock nd unlock by themselves) so does that mean the car doesn't have keyless entry?

For starters to go into programming mode, the 95 -97 Explorers you should have the key turned on and off 5 times, NOT 8.

Judging from your picture your 95 doesn't have a keyless entry pad so it's quite likely your vehicle doesn't have keyless entry.

To check, it must have a Rap Module which is located on the drivers side rear quarter panel trim. You can check by unfastening the jack compartment door.
The Rap Module will be a gray box with two wire harness connectors and an antenna connection.

I recently replaced mine, you can see pics of a 95 Rap Module from a post i made.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=416020

For starters to go into programming mode, the 95 -97 Explorers you should have the key turned on and off 5 times, NOT 8.

Judging from your picture your 95 doesn't have a keyless entry pad so it's quite likely your vehicle doesn't have keyless entry.

To check, it must have a Rap Module which is located on the drivers side rear quarter panel trim. You can check by unfastening the jack compartment door.
The Rap Module will be a gray box with two wire harness connectors and an antenna connection.

I recently replaced mine, you can see pics of a 95 Rap Module from a post i made.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=416020

ah, yeah it doesn't go into programming mode with 5 times either, also ur right i dont have a keypad, guess i dont have the keyless entry cus i asked my dad and he said it never had a remote (i got mine from a parts store)

I just installed the spectre air filter :) havn't driven it yet cus its cold and i had to eat lunch lol...but will in a bit!

what do you guys think of those tail lights and headlights i posted in OP that im thinking of getting?

trying to decide which way i want to go

classy like this guys:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/132388/1995-ford-explorer/

or lifted like this guys:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/1576246/1995-ford-explorer/

i like the lifted one more i think :) ^ wondering how much it would cost and how much of a lift would be good to look nice but not ridiculous. also could i keep my stock rims and get bigger tires and it would look nice?

or should i keep my stock rims/tires and get a lift?

if i didnt get a lift would getting bigger tires be a noticeable difference?

I'm also thinking of changing out the tail lights and head lights to these - how ya think they will look?

Yech. Stock or go home imo.

Yech. Stock or go home imo.

Lol I hear this from everyone, I guess you guys are right, those lights do look kinda tacky...guess I'll get some headlight restorer and buff up my headlights real nice :)

Lol I hear this from everyone, I guess you guys are right, those lights do look kinda tacky...guess I'll get some headlight restorer and buff up my headlights real nice :)

;) Sounds like a great plan...plus save a few bucks to use for other necessaries! :thumbsup:

Today I'm going to pick up a spectre air filter and will put it in the air box and remove the silencer to squeeze out a little power

Won't happen. There's no power restriction in the stock airbox.

I don't really go offroading I want to shoot for just making the explorer look nice and cool. So what else should I get done in that aspect?

otherwise should I just clean up the headlamps and focus on keeping the explorer clean?

also thinking of getting some fx4 decals to put on the sides.

Back