My 96 Explorer Sport OHV 4x4 Worklog | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My 96 Explorer Sport OHV 4x4 Worklog

First I want to say thank you to everyone on this site... the wealth of knowledge here is UN REAL! Everything that my Explorer needs has walk through and guides here. Epic Win. I WILL be purchasing Elite Explorer here.

This is my newly acquired 1996 Ford Explorer Sport 4x4 - V6 OHV. It has 156,x.. miles on it. She came with a few problems, but BRAND NEW $800 A/T Tires, Cruise Control and A/C both work perfectly. The truck runs great minus the stupid Idle issue.

Here is a list and reminder list of what I need to do.

• Oil Change w/ Motorcraft Filter - DONE
  • Trans Fluid Change - DONE
  • Replace Trans Pan Gasket & Filter (anyone know the torque rating on the pan bolts?) - DONE
  • Finish fixing EGR Uppipe -
  • Fix Slip Yolk THUD - DONE (Greased joints with white lithium grease)
  • Install Pioneer Radio from my Honda - DONE
  • Brush Guard -
  • Yellow Fogs (Walmart) -
  • Upper Lights on Roof bar -
  • Tint by www.215motoring.com (my place of employment) -

Here are the pics of her when I brought her home, before she got covered in pollen and other random South Jersey Pollutants.

323bc4a0.jpg

32218358.jpg

a8c0474d.jpg

I will take new pics after I get done all the random maintenance crap.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's a nice looking rig. What kind of idle issue are you having?

Here are a few pics of the Explorer on the lift today.

Oil Change + Transmission Fluid Change + Pan Gasket & Filter

Trans feels alot smoother now... less clunking when shifting to reverse or drive.

c946b907.jpg

Holy Rusty Oil Filter Batman
e60b1f27.jpg

Front End
0a2adcc3.jpg

Hooray Rust! (The rear diff seal was fairly new.. so I left it)
919d6c8e.jpg

What went in the Truck (the Napa Mercon 5 is made by Valvoline, so w00t.)
ed2ff1a0.jpg

lookin good

Jeez....someone didn't keep up with maintenance well. I see you work for the place I was considering to get my front windows done on my explorer, can't find any places closer plus they facebook good deals.

Picking this back up before it gets stupid cold here in jersey. Need to do get this stupid idle issue fixed, which has been caused by a leaking EGR return gasket. Contemplating plugging that ####ing hole with high temp cork? Thoughts?

Need to lube my slip yolk again... lubed it once to get rid of the THUD I was having, but it's back again, so I will lube it again, this time I will remove the cover to scrub it clean.

Oil Change tomorrow. Parts counter is closed, but I bought a 2nd Motorcraft Filter first time around, so I will use that, and just use a 5 quart container of Mobile 10w-30 SAE blend from Walmart.

Odd issue, on cold start, if I don't let it run for about 3 minutes, I get a delayed shift into drive or reverse. Need to add more fluid I think? Not leaking, probably didn't add enough from when I serviced the trans last.

Finally figured it out. The previous owner lied about plugs & wires... New Motorcraft Wireset & correctly gapped AutoLite plugs, has it running like NEW!!!

How it sits now... Torsion Twist & Shackles coming next...

248514_1743831916494_1259635444_31424270_3530307_n.jpg

yes... the exploder lost in a fender bender, which has earned it the right to wear the FUBAR decal proudly.

315622_2186963034495_1259635444_31795020_1519146322_n.jpg

Replaced the Walmart lights I had that were the same rectangular style with these with glass housings. They were on sale from Harbor Freight for $9.99 a pair.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back