My 97 doesn't stand level (side to side) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My 97 doesn't stand level (side to side)

Andy97XLT

Reaction score
City, State
Kensington, Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Frankenstein XLT
I'm in the process of trying to complete a Warrior Twist on my '97 4door. I've got the shackles on but can't finish because like I said, she doesn't stand/sit level from side to side. She sloped down to the right (reference, driver side = right, passenger = left). I think this because of a previous wheelin accident. The right torsion bar bracket was bent foward by a rock during a wheelin trip several months ago. I had it bent back and noticed that the top of the right wheel was tilting inwards. I thought an alignment job would fix this so I aksed to shop to perform an alignment job but I didn't work and the right side still sagged. Looking at the undercarriage, both brackets look fine. The right one does not look to bent at all but still, that side still sits somewhat low (about 1" lower than the left).
I thought this was a fluke and it would all even out once the wheels were allowed to droop once the front end was being supported by jack-stands. It didn't, the right tire does not sag as low as the left. This make sense: someting's wrong! What is happening?

------------------
Happy Wheelin,

Andy Statland
'97 XLT 4.0L OHC 4Dr 4x4
Warrior Twist in the works

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, the only thing I can say is to be aware that the left side T-bar is longer than the passenger side, so when you twist the driver side, it goes up more than the passenger side. So, say if you twisted them all the way, you driver side will stand higher, by default.

So what you need to do is adjust for the difference and there you are.

Hope this makes sense!!

------------------
Juan Felsmann
'97 Sport 4WD 5spd
Warrior Twist
www.explorer4x4.com/thaven_juan.jpg

Let me get this straight,
Let's say my truck stood level now..
If I were to tweak the T-Bar bolts all the way in, she would lean..to the passenger side?
That's if she were level now. Because she now leans to the right, when I tweak the bolts all the way in, hypothetically she would sit level, right?
What about the spring rates in either case? Will they be equal? I'm worried that if I try to level her by tweaking the bolts different amounts, I'll have different spring rates.
Somebody help me out here!

------------------
Happy Wheelin,

Andy Statland
'97 XLT 4.0L OHC 4Dr 4x4

Andy,
I have a 97 Sport, and I have NOT done any mod's to the suspension at all, But my Truck Leans like yours does, to the Drivers side about 1". I know there has been some discussion on this topic before, but I don't know if anyone ever found the cause of the problem. I tend to think it is the Springs, but I don't know much about suspension's other then changing the Shocks.

[Edited by CBoug76 on 10-12-2000 at 06:21 AM]

When you say springs, you mean the torsion bars, right? They act as the springs.

------------------
Happy Wheelin,

Andy Statland
'97 XLT 4.0L OHC 4Dr 4x4

Andy,
I'm not saying twist them all the way and that should level it. Play with the adjustments and you should be able to level the front. At this point I can't remember which side gained more lift, but one of them lifts more than the other, so you should be able to level.

You will notice when one side seems higher when adjusting the other.

As far as the rear, (if this is uneven as well) it might be a frame mount, or a bad leaf spring.

G. luck!

------------------
Juan Felsmann
'97 Sport 4WD 5spd
Warrior Twist

Check it out:
If I turn the bolts different amounts, won't I have unseven spring rates? Leveling it out is one thing but doing so then having uneven spring rates is another. I don't want to have uneven spring rates. That means that the T-bars will be pushing on the front end in unequals amounts and I don't see how that could fly, it's got to be bad.
I totally understand how to level it out, but like like I said, that could be bad because of unequal spring rates of the t-bars.
What have you done with your truck? Are your t-bars tweaked different amounts? If so, how's your ride and steering? Also, have you noticed an uneven tire wear since you raised the front?

------------------
Happy Wheelin,

Andy Statland
'97 XLT 4.0L OHC 4Dr 4x4

Andy,
I don't think the spring rates are an issue with torsion bars. Out of tons of people who have done this on the site, no one seems to be having probles, other than those who have pushed it to far and wanted to get too much of a lift. 1.5" or so is the max you should do.

Do a search and see for yourself.

------------------
Juan Felsmann
'97 Sport 4WD 5spd
Warrior Twist

I have a 96 and mine leans also but my torsion bars are of equal lengths do 97 and up have unequal?I twisted my pass.side down a little and twisted the drivers side up until the bolt was 1/4 inch left,which made mine almost level but you can still tell.I think the leaning has to do with the gas tank on the drivers side,battery,jack&washer tank rear and in my case Im usually the only one in the vehicle keeping all that weight on thats side is the problem. What do you guys think?

i just completed a tortion lift on my 95 with my drivers side having little room left to adjust and my pass side still about halfway i feel the ride is stiffer but i like it that way though it feels the same both ways

if the gas tank was causing the lean wouldnt it lean when full but not when empty

i cant think of the battery,jack,and washer bottle being heavy enough to cause springs designed to hold 2900 lbs to sag

as far as the driver i weigh a buck and a quarter soaking wet and my wife is on the heavy side with her being on the passenger side more often yet it still leans

now here's what i did to fix mine
1. i raised the back end 1.5" by replacing the leaf spring mount shackles with warrior shackles

2. i raised the front drivers side until the top of the wheel wells where even.

3 then i raised the passenger side until it was 1/8" lower than the drivers side i believe up to 1/4" would be ok without being able to notice

now my truck is perfectly level in the back
and only slightly nose low but that was what i wanted
and with the front passenger side being just slightly lower that causes the weight to shift and hold the drivers rear up

also Andy97XLT always refer to left and right in relation to the direction you face when driving to avoid confusion.

also be sure to drive around some (about ten minutes) after each tortion adjust to let it settle then check

I just thought all the things like driver,gas tank,battery etc. over a period of time would weaken the rear leaf spring,my driver side leafspring is is arching a little up at the front and rear of spring compared to the pass. side.I though of switching springs left to right?

Back