My '97 Mountaineer | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

power antenna

I even located the wire for the antenna. it's plugged in the back of my trunk where the back winder washer fluid (would be) located. for some reason my mountaineer came without one. has the cap to pour the fluid in but no reservoir. but anyway the whole reason i posted this is cuz i want my antenna to work. i dont like ghetto rigging stuff. especially after i just payed someone when i could of just did it myself it seems to me now.
There is already a wire running from the antenna to the radio. That's how the signal is received. I wonder what he meant by that.

Does it sound like the motor is trying to move the antenna but won't? Then the motor which raises and lowers the antenna is broken. I just disconnected mine and left the antenna up permanently. Costs nothing and is easy to do.

You can see the Green/Yellow and Red/Pink wires going into the motor connector in this photo.
5335826698_fb6368811c_z.jpg

To get to the motor you have to partially remove the right fender. Which can be done without a manual for the most part. However, there is a fastener behind the right turn signal/headlight assembly which prevents you from completely removing the fender if you don't release them. I was able to slip my hand in the space seen and detach the connector without completely removing the fender.

Also, when taking off the plastic cover that covers the antenna bolts, and while removing the bolts themselves. Be careful not to let the plastic piece scratch the paint or for the ratchet to either. I left a large scratch there and would recommend putting down some cloth around that area to prevent it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I went to the place that installed it and they said the antenna is either up or down. He wasn't sure how to properly do it. Does anyone know how I could fix this myself. I'm not settling for my POWER antenna to stay up. Its a power antenna. How am I supposed to get my car washed.

Nice looking Mountaineer! I can't get over the price you paid. That is the cheapest price I have seen yet for a fully working and running one. I especially like that its the 5.0 V8.

the guy at best buy told me i had a different type of model mountaineer and the wire for the antenna was in my trunk area so i needed to get a wire all the way back there.

This does not sound right. The antenna for the radio is up front where you can see it. I believe there is a second antenna for the Remote Anti-theft Personality module (RAP) in the rear, but that would not apply unless you were installing a new alarm system.

Was the power antenna going up and down when you turned the truck on and off before this radio install was performed? If so and it isn't working now I suspect somebody did a poor job.

Was the power antenna going up and down when you turned the truck on and off before this radio install was performed? If so and it isn't working now I suspect somebody did a poor job.

X2.
IF that antenna worked properly before this install, I would go back to those "professionals" that installed it and tell them they have 2 choices:

1: Fix it so that the power antenna works properly as part of the installation.

OR

2: You go get a REAL professional to fix it at the first "professionals" expense.

just got off work and they're closed.

when i went there this morning the guy that did it told me he was having problems with the antenna so it either stays up or down. he said he left it up cuz he assumed i listened to FM radio. he said he could put it down if id like. but he didnt assume i get my car washed every other day cuz i work at one. and i cant wash it with the power antenna up or itll snap. i had just woke up and i wasnt expecting them to say that so i just let it go for the moment. i have a ONE YEAR warranty on their labor, so that's good. i just got off work and went there but they closed at 4 and theyre closed on sunday. (it just ticks me off cuz the only reason i paid someone to do it was for that reason, because the antenna was confusing) or else i could have saved myself $175 and did it myself. first thing monday morning when they open im telling them to fix it the right way or else "every time i want my antenna down im coming here and everytime i want it up im coming here. i have a one year warranty and trust me, ill be here everyday because i do live close." the guy was pretty much a dick too cuz he told me itd be a service fee for him to LOOK AT IT/FIX IT. what the **** is that? i got my mind right now and know what to say. thanks guys for the help. i just wish i knew how to do it myself. has anyone else installed an aftermarket radio in theyre 1997 explorer/mountaineer with a power antenna? and i have the model with the sub in the back.
X2.
IF that antenna worked properly before this install, I would go back to those "professionals" that installed it and tell them they have 2 choices:

1: Fix it so that the power antenna works properly as part of the installation.

OR

2: You go get a REAL professional to fix it at the first "professionals" expense.

yes the power antenna was completely fine before the install and they agree to that 2

yes the power antenna was completely fine before the install and they agree to that 2

when i went there this morning the guy that did it told me he was having problems with the antenna so it either stays up or down. he said he left it up cuz he assumed i listened to FM radio. he said he could put it down if id like. but he didnt assume i get my car washed every other day cuz i work at one. and i cant wash it with the power antenna up or itll snap. i had just woke up and i wasnt expecting them to say that so i just let it go for the moment. i have a ONE YEAR warranty on their labor, so that's good. i just got off work and went there but they closed at 4 and theyre closed on sunday. (it just ticks me off cuz the only reason i paid someone to do it was for that reason, because the antenna was confusing) or else i could have saved myself $175 and did it myself. first thing monday morning when they open im telling them to fix it the right way or else "every time i want my antenna down im coming here and everytime i want it up im coming here. i have a one year warranty and trust me, ill be here everyday because i do live close." the guy was pretty much a dick too cuz he told me itd be a service fee for him to LOOK AT IT/FIX IT. what the **** is that? i got my mind right now and know what to say. thanks guys for the help. i just wish i knew how to do it myself. has anyone else installed an aftermarket radio in theyre 1997 explorer/mountaineer with a power antenna? and i have the model with the sub in the back.
This does not sound right. The antenna for the radio is up front where you can see it. I believe there is a second antenna for the Remote Anti-theft Personality module (RAP) in the rear, but that would not apply unless you were installing a new alarm system.

UPDAte on the AFTER MARKET RADIO and POWER ANTENNA situation

I brought my 97 mountaineer back to the place that installed the after market radio. They told me that my mountaineer has a "semi-automatic power antenna" (like its a gun) and it will only properly work (go up and down) with ford radios. I still continue to wash my car with the antenna up and surprisingly the spinning brushes do not break it. I sat through with my car and that antenna bends rediculously far back. I want to get a regular (non-powered) antenna. Does anyone know how to replace an antenna before I ###### up my car??? Help Appreciated! THANK YOU!

You can just get the guts for a non power unit and swap them out. I still, however, wouldn't let them off for doing what was probably a 20 minute install for $175 and not hooking up the antanna correctly. Go higher up- you know what you wanted, why settle? It's the procnipal of the thing as well as wanting the thing to work right... :)

You can just get the guts for a non power unit and swap them out. I still, however, wouldn't let them off for doing what was probably a 20 minute install for $175 and not hooking up the antenna correctly. Go higher up- you know what you wanted, why settle? It's the principal of the thing as well as wanting the thing to work right... :)

X2
There is no "magic" to the Ford antenna. A qualified installer can have it function normally.

here is my question....does anyone know how to do this themselves? all of the cables are hooked up properly. the radio sounds perfect, but why won't the antenna work properly?

Well, on an after market stereo the blue and white wire is the pwr antenna wire, that is to be wired to the harness, or power antenna wire on the car side. It only gives power when the radio is on. See if that is connected to anything. My bet is its not connected to anything.

found this answer on answers.com (my name is Vince too!)

Chances are your Explorer has the premium JBL sound system. If so, the antenna and everything else run to an amp in the rear of the vehicle near the subwoofer instead of behind the dash. You'll need an adapter and a long extension to run it back up to the dash to hook to an aftermarket head unit. Might be cheaper and simpler to replace the factory antenna with an aftermarket one and run it directly to the dash.
The following is all for a 96 Explorer (hope it's all the same):

If you look carefully at the wiring behind the panel in the front passenger footwell you should find a place where the wire from the antenna plugs in to another antenna cable that runs to the back. You can disconnect it there and connect in an extension (note though that the connector Ford uses is not standard so you may need to do some cutting and crimping and/or soldering.

If you really have the JBL system and are trying to install an aftermarket head unit this may be the least of your troubles though. You will also need to run all your speaker wires (4 pairs) to the back near the subwoofer and splice them into the factory speaker wires where they leave the factory amp. The wires are all along one row of a connector that is around the middle (top to bottom) of the amp and near the inside edge of the amp. The colors you are looking for are:

orange/light green left front speaker +

lt blue/white left front speaker -

grey/lt blue left rear speaker -

tan/yellow left rear speaker +

white/light green right front speaker +

dk green/orange right front speaker -

orange/red right rear speaker -

brown/pink right rear speaker +

You may be able to use the factory subwoofer amplifier with your new unit (if it has an output for a subwoofer). You will need to run a shielded audio cable to the back (RCA connector at the head end), plus a hookup wire. You can then splice the audio cable directly into the subwoofer amp (black and red wires) and connect the hookup wire to the white wire that goes into the amp (connect the other end of the hookup wire to the "amp remote" output of your new head unit.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/I_can't_f..._it_thru_the_glove_maybe_THANKS#ixzz1BRsK71C4
Well, on an after market stereo the blue and white wire is the pwr antenna wire, that is to be wired to the harness, or power antenna wire on the car side. It only gives power when the radio is on. See if that is connected to anything. My bet is its not connected to anything.

I see that! Someone who has a JBL system and installed it should chime in. I have the premium system, which also has the amp in the back. For mine the harness still uses that amp, but... I know there is an amp bypass kit as well. I ended up finding the wiring colors and making my own bypass, but I don't have the power antenna. If they bypassed the stock amp they must have wired it wrong, or done something. I'm not of much help, wish i could be though.

I think they should be responsible for fixing it, or have them put the stock radio back in, give you your money back and take it elsewhere.

Does your stock sub work with the new radio installed?

honestly, im not sure if the stock sub works. i'm done with that place. i will never step foot in there again. they took my money, but will never get a cent from me again. im writing a bad review of the place as we speak. and will NEVER recommend this place to anyone. Now I'm left with 2 choices. Take it elsewhere (F-ING PAY SOMEONE ELSE AGAIN) and have it installed the right way or get an aftermarket power antenna installed. EITHER WAY IM PISSED and have to pay it all over again. It just makes me so mad that they charged me $175 for something I could have did myself. I knew if I did it myself the antenna wouldn't work and that's why I took it to a "professional"

on the reciept it says no refunds. only store credit. honestly i want to get the stock radio put back in, tell them give me a $325 radio (thats what total was with radio) and i'm taking it somewhere else to get it PROFESSIONALLY installed by REAL PROFESSIONALS!

My Google Review for Mobile Concepts (Orland Park, IL)

I took my vehicle here to have my aftermarket radio properly installed. I could have installed it myself, but could not get the power antenna to properly work. So, I brought it to Mobile Concepts, and they told me they could properly install it for $175, and by properly install, I mean re-wiring the head unit to all 4 speakers and the stock amplifier in the rear end of my vehicle. They knew what they had to do but must have been too lazy to do it PROPERLY! When I picked up my car, everything seemed fine at first until I got home and realized my power antenna wouldn't go down. I would have went back right there and then but they were closed, so I went back first thing in the morning. The guy that installed it told me he had some problems with the antenna and couldn't figure it out. The reason he left the antenna up was because he assumed I listen to FM radio. Not to mention, HE WAS NOT FRIENDLY AT ALL. He didn't assume that I get my car washed every other day and I can't get it washed with my Power Antenna UP ... my aftermarket radio properly installed. I could have installed it myself, but could not get the power antenna to properly work. So, I brought it to Mobile Concepts, and they told me they could properly install it for $175, and by properly install, I mean re-wiring the head unit to all 4 speakers and the stock amplifier in the rear end of my vehicle. They knew what they had to do but must have been too lazy to do it PROPERLY! When I picked up my car, everything seemed fine at first until I got home and realized my power antenna wouldn't go down. I would have went back right there and then but they were closed, so I went back first thing in the morning. The guy that installed it told me he had some problems with the antenna and couldn't figure it out. The reason he left the antenna up was because he assumed I listen to FM radio. Not to mention, HE WAS NOT FRIENDLY AT ALL. He didn't assume that I get my car washed every other day and I can't get it washed with my Power Antenna UP!!! I had to get to work so I left. At work I realized my rear passenger speaker wasn't working at all. I took my car back there 2 days later (closed on Sunday) and they fixed my speaker but told me that I have a "semi-automatic power antenna" and the antenna will only properly work with Ford Radios.....Then offered to special order me a "fully-automatic power antenna and install it for $150....This didn't sound right to me at all so I did some extra research and found out the antenna and everything else run to an amp in the rear of the vehicle near the subwoofer instead of behind the dash. You'll need an adapter and a long extension to run it back up to the dash to hook to an aftermarket head unit. Might be cheaper and simpler to replace the factory antenna with an aftermarket one and run it directly to the dash......I will NEVER go to Mobile Concepts again. I wish I would have read the reviews before paying them my hard earned cash.....And I wouldn't of been fooled by the 5 star rating either "Joe" If you ENJOY BURNING CASH, Mobile Concepts is the place to go.

What a beauty, and just the sweetest color. My Mountaineer (red) is feeling a little jealous and wants to know if I love it as much as I love the color of your Mountaineer. ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That dealership let you steal that from them. Nice truck!

Back