My 98 5.0 is feeling sluggish, making some changes. Input? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My 98 5.0 is feeling sluggish, making some changes. Input?

King$nake

Reaction score
City, State
Oceanside, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Eddie Bauer 5.0
Hello,

I have a BIG list of things I am going to do to refresh/restore my 98 Explorer EB...but for now, I am concerned about a tired engine.

It has 133,x.. miles on it. I have recently done a Seafoam through it and an oil change, seemed to help, but my truck just feels slow.

So, I ordered a MAC Cold Air Intake for it, and I am going to order Motorcraft Plug wires and plugs. I am also going to clean the MAF with carb cleaner while doing the CAI install.

Do you guys think I will feel a big difference after doing this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello,

I have a BIG list of things I am going to do to refresh/restore my 98 Explorer EB...but for now, I am concerned about a tired engine.

It has 133,x.. miles on it. I have recently done a Seafoam through it and an oil change, seemed to help, but my truck just feels slow.

So, I ordered a MAC Cold Air Intake for it, and I am going to order Motorcraft Plug wires and plugs. I am also going to clean the MAF with carb cleaner while doing the CAI install.

Do you guys think I will feel a big difference after doing this?

Big difference, No. noticeable difference, yes. i would suggest testing &/or replacing your coil pack if you have not done so(since your doing plugs & wires as well).

if you want a big difference throw on a set of T.M headers & a intake spacer as i have read. other than that, doing the routine plugs, wires & coil pack will only get you so far. you should notice a difference but nothing "big".

Did you check to see if with the pedal to the flood you have WOT? Throttle cable gets elongated in time - see the "zip tie fix" threads for a easy fix.

Did you check to see if with the pedal to the flood you have WOT? Throttle cable gets elongated in time - see the "zip tie fix" threads for a easy fix.

Ya already checked that, throttle valve is opening all the way properly

133K miles on my 5.0L.. Just changed the fuel filter along with plugs, all hesitation and sluggishness went away. Runs great now. I have a misfire issue that was only getting worse, changed my plugs.. truck ran pretty great but still felt hesitation and just general sluggishness... changed that fuel filter and it runs like new.. could hardly even blow through it, while with the new WIX filter I could easily blow through it. Definite improvement.

DO NOT clean the MAF with carb cleaner. Use maf cleaner, or some other electronics safe cleaner.

x2, x3 & x4. you will ruin your MAF sensor w/the quickness. also remember to hold the MAF cleaner far enough away not to ruin the element on the end.

x5

Back