Completed Project - My 98 super charged EX | Page 26 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Completed Project My 98 super charged EX

Use this prefix for completed projects that are not "How to" articles or threads asking for help.
1998 Explorer 4.0 SOHC
Bought it with a melted alternator/wiring harness from a junkyard for $1,000
Fixed it, drove it for two weeks, then I boosted it.
Started with an M90 supercharger kit from www.Bansheesuperchargerkit.com
Upgraded to an M112 Lightning supercharger that was a prototype kit.
Next was the M122 off a 2012 GT500
I have reached 20 lbs of boost (with ARP head studs) and a 12.83 in a quarter mile.

Pictures
1. How it looked when I brought it home.
2.The M90 supercharger installed
3.The GT500 supercharger installed
4.How it looks now
5.Wheelie
green ex.jpg
DSC02710.JPG
5.JPG
Lowered Rear.jpg
Exploder wheelie.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Puddle Lights 2

More

Attachments

• 11 green light.jpg
    11 green light.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 255
  • 10 adaptor added.jpg
    10 adaptor added.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 257
  • 9 wires piggy backed.jpg
    9 wires piggy backed.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 240
  • 8 foam.jpg
    8 foam.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 254
  • 7 2 board in.jpg
    7 2 board in.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 244

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

nice stuff john. i want to put those style mirrors on mine, but every time i find a set, they are nicked or scratched up.

Thanks!

ahodges, I didn't notice it at first but I have two cool spots at the right and left of the Speedo. Not very noticeable though, I can live with it.

2000StreetRod,
That's funny about not driving at night, I know what you mean though. As a youngster I was always out at night. Always seemed that when I got in trouble or got a ticket, it was night time. Now that I don't drive that much on Friday or Saturday nights I have not had any points for well over 15 years. Things are much more visible during the day time too.

Glad I'm not the only one. lol. The puddle lights look nice! Really bright! I changed all of my window and lock switches to blue LED over the weekend, the ones I got were so bright I had to put a little black paint over the end of them to dim them down some. They are still way brighter than the factory green.

door switches

[MENTION=119708]ahodges[/MENTION]
What LED's did you use?

6 NEO3-B 3mm NEO3-x Blue 1.29
20 RL3-B2030 Blue 3mm LED 0.67 - LEDs used in the switches.
20 CF1/4C221J 220 OHM 0.14 - resistors

This is exactly what I ordered from superbrightleds.com. I over ordered on the resistors because you do not need them for the window switches.

Led

RL3-B2030 Blue 3mm LED have a rating of .5 lumen so then a .3 might be better so they are not too bright?

I am using green instead of blue. I like blue better but my truck is green.

Why don't you need resistors for the window switches?

RL3-B2030 Blue 3mm LED have a rating of .5 lumen so then a .3 might be better so they are not too bright?

I am using green instead of blue. I like blue better but my truck is green.

Good questions. I began by buying the older switches with blue, but wonder if changing to aftermarket LED's would also be better.

i had told andy that when he does his switches, the factory has resistors in them already, and you only need to remove the bulbs. they seem to work fine, and they are already soldered in there.

i had told andy that when he does his switches, the factory has resistors in them already, and you only need to remove the bulbs. they seem to work fine, and they are already soldered in there.

Yep! they work great with the stock resistors. multiple LEDs run off of 1 resistor in the stock configuration. I would say that .3 lumens would be plenty.

Underglow

I got some Lizard LED strips off eBay for under 20 bucks. I wanted some green light coming from under the sides of the truck when I open the doors.
I also wanted to be able to turn them and the puddle lights on when driving down the race track.

I started by removing the rocker trim. Vroomzoomboom gave me some good advice on removing them without breaking the clips. I was happy to see that the body was in pretty good shape under there. Looks like there may have been some work done to it once before. Drivers side looks great, passenger side had a little rust.

The strips come with a real sticky tape backing, I also used GOOP to seal both ends and also about every 6 inches to the trim to hopefully help keep them from ever falling off.

I ran the wires through a rubber grommet under the carpet in front of the seat. I wrapped them in conduit to protect them, and then clipped them up to the body/frame.

Attachments

• 6 wires.jpg
    6 wires.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 204
  • 7 wires.jpg
    7 wires.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 202
  • 5 wires hole.jpg
    5 wires hole.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 192
  • 4 wires groumet.jpg
    4 wires groumet.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 199
  • 2 LED gooped on.jpg
    2 LED gooped on.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 209
  • 1 Trim off.jpg
    1 Trim off.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 214

LEDs 2

After using conduit on the top and bottom sides, I ran the grounds to the kick panels.
I tied the power into the puddle light circuits so they come on when the doors open.
I also installed another switch and diode to turn the lights on when I am at the track. When I use that switch
the dome lights do not go on inside the vehicle since I used a diode.
The lights look better in person, the pictures change the shade etc. I need to spray some flat black on those
step bar brackets.

Attachments

• 8 conduit.jpg
    8 conduit.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 206
  • 9 conduit.jpg
    9 conduit.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 208
  • 10 ground.jpg
    10 ground.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 201
  • 11 lights.jpg
    11 lights.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 215

White / Green interior lights

I wanted green interior lights to match the underglow and puddle lights but I wondered how it would be trying to find something in the passenger compartment. I wasn't sure if I would be happy with just green. So I put both green and white in the front dome light.

I used these bulb adaptors that came with the LED boards from eBay. With two installed I also installed some wires and a switch for a third board to put in the dome light. After finishing the wires, switch and putting the two bulb adaptors in I installed the 3 LED boards. 2 green and 1 white.

Attachments

• 1 bulb socket adaptor.jpg
    1 bulb socket adaptor.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 192
  • 4 switch view.jpg
    4 switch view.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 192
  • 3 switch for white or greenj LEDs.jpg
    3 switch for white or greenj LEDs.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 193
  • 2 connectors for LED Boards.jpg
    2 connectors for LED Boards.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 197
  • 5 White and green leds.jpg
    5 White and green leds.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 199
  • 6 lens installed.jpg
    6 lens installed.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 194

Green / White

I put green in the rear dome light as well.
Here is how it looks.

Attachments

• 7 rear dome light.jpg
    7 rear dome light.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 196
  • 8 green light.jpg
    8 green light.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 187
  • 9 white light.jpg
    9 white light.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 184

lol

going to start calling this thing the incredible hulk.

I should name it Green Hell 2
Back when I was in automotive school, a friend of mine called my 1973 Pontiac Grand Prix (which happened to be green) "Green Hell"
It had a Pontiac 400 engine in it, a four barrel carb and headers with dual exhaust. Was still a piece of crap and I threw all my trash in the back on the floor. We heard Green Hell the song played by Metallica (Misfits cover), neither of us knew what the lyrics were except the title words. lol. With today's internet search function lyrics are so easy to get ahold of. I know what they are, but still don't understand them. lol.

HID bulbs

HID's are on everything now so why not my explorer?
I have projector headlights and found a HID kit on eBay that would replace the H1 bulbs.
It made a world of difference, much whiter light. I got the 6,000 bulbs.
Brand is HIKARU. We will see if they hold up.

Attachments

• HID.jpg
    HID.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 181

Lights

Now the headlights look nice and bright. The dashlights and radio bezel lights are done. The Dome lights, puddle lights and underglow finished.
Then I looked at the door switches and said, crap, they look so dim now.

Good job! Everything you put your mind to you get done fast! That sure is a lot of green

blue

Good job! Everything you put your mind to you get done fast! That sure is a lot of green

You should do some blue underglow, would look cool coming out from under your white truck. Blue is actually my favorite color, I just don't think it would look good coming from under a green truck.

Back