My A4LD worries me...

Dre

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Chicago
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 FPIU
ever since I got the truck back about a year ago tranny's been leaking fluid... so I replaced filter, put the pan back on and... it still leaked. Well, cork gasket sucks. While putting the pan back on I broke one of the bolts so I redrilled, tapped and installed a bigger bolt. Now to replace gasket I had to pull tranny pan again - install rubber gasket and now I screwed-up two more threads... redrill and tap new threads and install new bolts... I understand that - why the heck I was able to loose three threads without even using a lot of preassure to tighten them bolts?

1. what's the tourque for the bolts?
2. how much of fluid should I put in the tranny? (manual says 3 quarts - I put three and it's not enough)
3. Mercon V OK???

thanks...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Use stainless steel inserts instead of larger bolts, and a torque wrench. Keep it at 8 Ft./Lbs. to be on the safe side. You could use Mercon V since DexronIII/Mercon is no longer available. Check the fluid level with the engine running, and on level ground with the vehicle at a normal running temperature.

8 lbs? good thing I didn't use my wrench (set to 30lbs)

What's the capacity though?

thanks... A4LD full capacity - 10 quarts... and the book says 3 quarts - where did they get this number? oh well, back to the store to get more Mobil 1 ATF.

thanks again

It's 10 quarts after a complete rebuild, not just a pan drop. Allow more for a deep pan, remote filter, and a heavy duty cooler.

well, I dropped pan and now even with almost 4 quarts in it still shows low... not even registering on the dipstick... where did it go?

I did a pan drop and ended up putting 5½ quarts of Mercon V back in. I don't think mine is the A4LD but it does seem to need more than 3 quarts of ATF after a pan dropping. Where does Haynes get 3 quarts from, I don't know...

I remember now... I did swap transfer cases... now there was a bit of fluid that came out as well at the time.

Well, no time to get to it today... perhaps tomorrow...

thanks for all the input.

Back