my amp gets knocked out | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

my amp gets knocked out

monson

Reaction score
i just installed a mtx 7000 and an infinity kappa 102a amp, when i turn the volume way up and the bass hits hard it knocks the amp out, it only does it when it hits really hard then a few seconds later the amp turns back on and everything is ok until the next time, i hope you can tell me what is wrong, could it be in the wiring? i though maybe it was knocking my ground of but i just looked at it and it look fine.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

my guess is that when the bass hits hard, it draws a lot of power from the amp. the amp may be cutting itself off to prevent it from overheating and damaging the amp itself.

jate

I am not a huge stereo guru, but I have installed several systems. I have also helped a little with a cousin's competition car. So, I may not be 100% correct but I have a good guess. I would, though, have to agree with Jate on this one. The draw on the amp is probably too much and either the high ampage or too low of voltage is shutting it down. You can help cure this probably by adding a capacitor. This will help on the extended and quick heavy draws. I fixed a similar problem with this in a vehicle of mine at one time. If I am wrong, somebody please correct me.

Take care and happy exploring!

------------------
Todd Metzger
tmetz@umr.edu
'Off-Road and More!'
93 "Ford X 4" XLT

Monson, both of the above posts are probably correct at the same time. You have an awesome amp, so it will take a lot of current. Make sure you have a fat guage of power wire. For that amp's power consumption, 8 guage is good, but 4 guage would be better. Also try and ground the amp directly to the chassis, not that metal part under the cargo space. Both small guage of wire and too much resistance can close off the flow of power. If you starve the amp of power, it will shorten it's life span.

Also, just be careful about how loud you play it. There was another guy here who used to come on this website, and he posted that he was looking for new equipment, because he got held up for it. I think it was just lucky enough he didn't get hurt. Just be careful, friend.

I was having the same problem with mine, my head unit has 4v rca outputs and the amp can only handle 2v. I had to lower the gain on my amp so it would stop cutting out.

Good Luck

Back