My auto dim/auto lamp mirror install, pics | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My auto dim/auto lamp mirror install, pics

CougarSE

Reaction score
City, State
Lancaster, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
84 BII, 98 Mounty
My two previous cars (83 and 88 cougars) had the auto lamp feature. Putzing around the junkyard I came across this mirror in a 96 X. I searched here and came across a few threads regarding this mirror install, but most of them where/are overly confusing and not as simple as this actually is.

The only thing to worry about is the RAP module and by reading the many threads with the many worried posts about this module it was obvious there was a quick and easy answer. Do you have Keyless entry? If so just splice away. If not.. find one of those threads with the relay diagram..

Only one wire needs ran anywhere other than the OHC. The W/P wire for the auto lamps I ran down to the sill as that was an easy place to splice without getting on my back under the dash. The other three wires spliced into wires already in the OHC. I forget the stripe colors, but the main colors of the two power wires are red and green. The black is a ground of course. The green wire gets spliced into the green wire for the visor power as its a constant hot. The red wire gets spliced into the gray yellow wire that goes to the OHC plug. I didn't hook up the reverse wire as I don't think I've ever put my truck in reverse with a car behind me at night and if I do in the unlikely situation I'll simply turn my head around to see where the heck I'm backing up too!

mirror001.jpg

mirror002.jpg

While I was at it I made a bracket for my radar detector and ran the wire up the mirror channel and into the OHC for power. I like it.

mirror003.jpg

Great write up, going to tackle this soon in an XL.

Cool, should be a fun afternoon.

Back