• Register Today It's free!

My Axle Wrap Unwrapped

Siekyre

Reaction score
City, State
Hillsboro, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 5.0 XLT
I have been having axle wrap issues ever since doing the superlift SoA with the 5.5 in Lift. We tried welding the SoA brackets to the factory perches and new leafs, and had no luck. While that did tone it down some, it did not solve the issue. The other suggestion was to get rid of the Superlift SoA perchs, have new perches welded on to the axle and new shock mounts weld as well. Well since I already had the superlift perches welded in place, I went for another option, the Ranger Over Spring Traction Bar from James Duff. It took some more welding/mods to get them to work, but they are on and working excellent. No more introducing the transfer case and driveshaft to the floorboards :D Here are some pictures for ya'll

The Forward Mount Point (This is where the welding came into play):
15482ForTracMts-med.jpg

A Closer View:
15482ForwardTracMTs-med.jpg

The shot of the traction bar from the rear under the truck (Kinda dark sorry):
15482FromBkTBs-med.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Interesting. Thanks for the info. I just welded my perches to the spacers and spacers to the axle.

Do those poly bushes allow for enough vertical movement? Looks like they would be a little restrictive.

I have always seen these kits at retailers and online, but never known anyone to use one. Please keep us informed on how it performs in the future. ;)

Looks very similar to the "over-ride" bars found on early Shelby Mustangs. Those used bronze bushings with no ill effects. So, I'm going to assume the poly bushings would work great.

this looks like what v8 explorers have from the factory (lots more flex though)

If you could, snap a couple of pics of what that looks like flexed out. I think a lot of us would like to see how it works and the dynamics of it in full flex.

Thanks...

I'd be interested to hear how it works out a few trips on it too. And I had no idea that V8s came with something like this from the factory.

edit: thanks to jefe's clarification below.. i see what I'm looking at!

Let me lighten up that pic for you so you can actually see what we're looking at:

How exactly does it mount to the axle? On top of the spring or to the outside?

Attachments

• 15482FromBkTBs-med.JPG
    15482FromBkTBs-med.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 836

I don't know when I can get around to getting off road to flex it (I don't have anything local that will really flex it either) and see how it work. I STILL haven't changed the front gear to match the rear, but I'll be doing that hopefully soon, since we just finished lifting my friends 91 EB. I'll post some pic's as soon as I get them...

Now I understand what the concern is. At full flex, that bar is going to try to pull the axle forward. Hmmmm............ Also, those poly bushings are going to be under some strain at full flex, too.

I like the simplicity of the idea - but I'm concerned that the things I do with my truck would be compromised by binding in that rod. I wonder if a heim joint in front would make a difference?

glfredrick said:
I like the simplicity of the idea - but I'm concerned that the things I do with my truck would be compromised by binding in that rod. I wonder if a heim joint in front would make a difference?

Yeah that's what I was thinking.

glfredrick said:
That would help, but its still going to be fighting the spring while flexing. I have seen these setups S a leaf pack just as bad as the axle wrap would (with extreme flex). A better alternative would be to triangulate it w/ two points on the axle, and make the point on the frame side able to slide in/out, to adjust for length differences during flex. An anti-wrap bar has been in my plans for a while now. . I just haven't done it because I keep dreaming of a 4-link rear. :D

The other concern I have with this setup is that I'm worried that the mount on the axle side might hit the frame at full stuff. I know I can get the spring to touch the stock bump-stop at full stuff. (But I probably have a couple inches less lift)

Here is what i know about those things (on an early Bronc but same thing) :D -

1- As far as limiting axlewrap, they work pretty good. They wont get rid of it entirely, but they get rid of most of it even with a big windsor so im sure they would work even better on a stock V6/V8 Explorer.

2- They limit articulation to a certain degree just like Jefe described. Problem is, the length from the front spring eye to the perch changes as a leaf flattens out and extends. The length on the bar will not change, so it will limit wheel travel. At a certain point of extension, the bar will fight the spring and in the end the bar will win.

Still, the best design for unlimited flex is the "Sams offroad" style bar. If you want to get rid of all axle wrap, you must have a mount on the top and on the bottom of the housing (bottom being a relative term). Having mounts only at the top will only change the angle of rotation of the housing and wont get rid of all of the wrap..... although as i said before it will get rid of most of it.

Condensed version-
They work pretty good but will limit articulation a bit. :)

Jefe, I'd like to see a diagram of what you're talking about, and James, the sams offroad style...what's that look like? You have a link or anything?

Con Seann3ry said:
Jefe, I'd like to see a diagram of what you're talking about, and James, the sams offroad style...what's that look like? You have a link or anything?
Basically what JamesT posted :p I've also seen them where, rather than the 'shackle' the main tube is actually one tube inside another, so that it can slide in and out. But the shackle is probably less prone to bind up.

Here's Sams Offroad (www.samsoffroad.com) HD one:

Attachments

• Traction Bar.jpg
    Traction Bar.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 1,118

Torque Arm

I have thought about this idea for a while but the first thing I need to do is get rid of the saddle tank and put in a rear/center mounted fuel cell or F150 tank.

:subscribed:

Here's one I snapped of mine the other day when I was changing wheels. Found it odd that it had it. Didn't know they came with them.

Attachments

• DSC00889.JPG
    DSC00889.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 810

Todd- i think most of the V8 Explorers come with them stock. Mine has 'em.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back