My battery light is lit/gauge reads normal/engine cuts off!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My battery light is lit/gauge reads normal/engine cuts off!!

93explorereb

Reaction score
City, State
Northeast
Year, Model & Trim Level
93/97 4.0 EB/5.0 XLT 4AWD
Greetings:

I have encountered a situation with the charging system. I have replaced the alternator/belt, however, the battery symbol on the dashboard is now lit up! The voltmeter reads "normal" and I have to jump start the truck to get it to run, upon removing the cables, the motor just shuts off::(. Then if I reposition the battery terminals my head lights and my interior lights get bright again/re-gain power:mad:? I retighten the terminals, and then go to start and I hear this electrical "clank" sound, and recieve a loss of power (lights etc). The truck never clicks like its a solenoid, and or battery issue, just "clank" and all of the lights/power go dead:rolleyes:. At this point the car never even gets to start? The type of terminals that I have are the type whereas the wiring/cables are fused into the side of each terminal. I was thinking to cut these connection, stripped the wiring/cables down, and then insert them into another clamp style top post terminal setup?The last alternator that was in the truck had seized up and popped the drive belt. I am thinking that maybe my battery terminals are just no good? I also thought that the battery maybe low and or dead? Whereas some of these alternators will not function well and or at all if the battery is low or dead? So I tried another battery, which now leads me to believe that it maybe the terminals:D? I checked the starter connections, and I even checked the ground to the frame etc, all appears to be well:rolleyes:. Thanks in advance! What say you? The truck has 150,000 plus original miles on it, and is in excellent shape:D! Sorry for such a long thesis:D

Best Regards

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i had the same problem, the main ground out wire that went to the battery, was shot, no good, replaced it with a 2 ga wire and it stopped doing that.

Don't waste time replacing the cable ends on a truck this old...replace the whole cables. You should be able to go to the auto parts store (I know napa sells them) and get pre made cables that just go straight in where the old ones where. I replaced both my negative and positive cables awhile ago and it got rid of a lot of my electrical gremlins.

The cables on your truck are known for corroding from the inside out, so while it may look like it's okay on the outside, it probably is gone on the inside. I know mine where starting to rot from the inside, but I didn't have problems near as bad as you do.

Yep, replace the cables.

I had a similar situation recently (see my thread here). I'm about to change the cables today actually.

I'm about 90% sure it's your battery cables (or one of them).

Thanks! You have been very helpful. I will pick them up tommorow! The funny thing is everytime I wiggled and twisted the positive cable the power would be restored! I like these cables from Napa, because they are just as good and or even better than the originals! I frequently shop at napa and or Advance, but www.rockauto.com is an excellent online source too! These guys sell quality parts that are even cheaper than Advance Auto or www.partsamerica.com (advance's online source). Thanks again!!:cool:
I had a similar situation recently (see my thread here). I'm about to change the cables today actually.

Hello Forder! I just picked up both cables from NAPA! Just prior to doing so I installed a new spare positive terminal for the heck of it. Well let me tell you, the truck started right up!! However, that same dreaded red "battery" symbol light lit up again on my lower dash! Whereas before the positive terminal was installed, it would make a loud electrical "clank" sound and never start, whereas all power would be lost, immediately thereafter! Additionally, I had my alternator bench tested just to narrow everything down to the problem itself. My alternator passed! I then finally changed the negative terminal post, the vehicle still started right up, but of course that red battery light symbol stayed lit, in addition to my voltmeter dipping towards "8". So as you and others have stated, its the cables! I did notice some corrosion on the positive/negative (black/green deposits), upon stripping the insulation for the new terminals. I mean what else other than the cables could it possibly be? My voltmeter dips to about 8, and my battery symbol light is lit up! My alternator is good, my solenoids are good, because it starts right up, and I have used 2 seperate batteries that were fully charged (Sears Die Hard Weather Handler & Sears Die Hard Gold Series). So tommorow, I shall comence with the installation of the cables! Is it really that much of a PITA to remove/install these cables/ I am very mechanically inclined and all, but I have never installed cables on these particular trucks before. I noticed that the positive cable was pretty much straight forward, whereas it ran under the entire and sort of branches off. The negative cable looks to be kind of confined somewhat in addition to branching out. What say you? Thanks again!!

Any luck with cable replacement? Same thing just started happening to me. Starts strong, but battery light comes on and voltage gauge hovers around 10-11V.

Back