My biggest Explorer project (4wd swap)...maybe! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My biggest Explorer project (4wd swap)...maybe!

briwayjones

Manual Master
Reaction score
City, State
Eldersburg, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer XLS
Wow, it's been a while since I've been here. Things have changed. I have forgotten a lot too. I would of had the answer to a lot of these questions in the past.

I've started searching around but I thought I would make a post.

I still have my 2000 Explorer and drive it. I don't mind putting money into fixing an old vehicle, the thing is it's not really fixable anymore. It has body damage in a few places. But the problem is it has damage on the rear passenger quarter panel. So it's not fixable without spending thousands of buku bucks. Plus it's starting to really get eaten up with rust.

I found a '98 for cheap that has a torn up interior, but is rust free and has a good body. So I, with my '00 I have a full donor vehicle for any parts that need replacing in the '98.

The hangup is, the '98 is 2WD, so I will want to make it 4WD. So the good is, I have a full donor vehicle and it's about as a bolt-in swap as you can get. But I still have some questions and things I'm trying to remember.

They are both manuals so that should make things easier.

The issues
  1. The transmission in the '00 has problems, so I can't just swap it over. The shifter bushings inside are worn out or something. It's hard to get it to shift sometimes. Especially when it's cold. It won't hardly shift at all then.
  2. The transmission in the '98 is 2WD.
  3. Wiring?
  4. Components/Front end components?
---------------------------
  1. Since I can't just swap over the '00 transmission, I'm thinking the option I have with what I have to work with, is swap the tail shaft on the '98. What's involved with that?
  2. See #1.
  3. I can't remember. Does the wiring harness in the '98 contain all of the 4WD wiring? So that the modules and sensors and what not can just be plug and play? Or will wiring need to be done? I think the VSS sensor is located in the rear on both years? So that shouldn't be a problem? Not sure what else I would run into wiring wise.
  4. This is what I'm thinking will need to be swapped. -The tail shaft on the transmission. -The driveshaft. -Transfer case. -Interior switches and accessories. -Front end components. So the half shafts out to the wheel hubs need to be swapped. Does anything need to change on the front end besides adding those components basically?
What am I missing?

I'm thinking @410Fortune would be a good person to see this thread.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Whats up @briwayjones!! welcome back

Can you fix the 00 transmission? The shifter bushings are like $15 if it is just bad shifter bushings?

Wiring between 2000 and 98 is very minimal, not many changes from 98-2000, good news for you!

The 4x4 transfer case wiring will need to be swapped over, the harness that goes through the floor to the transfer case would be swapped from the 00 to the 98 as part of your "4wd conversion"

To install a 4x4 tailhousing into a RWD transmission the entire transmission will have to be rebuilt, the "output" shaft is the first thing that gets installed when you rebuild one, the output shaft is what is different from RWD to 4wd, under the tailhousing.

The front end from RWD to 4x4 is easy, all the mounting locations for the front diff are there, basically remove the 98 RWD front suspension, install 00 4x4 front suspension.... I would replace lower ball joints, upper control arms, possibly wheel bearings, and differential seals at the same time. Of course brake parts, sway bar links, etc should also be addressed

Whats up @briwayjones!! welcome back

Can you fix the 00 transmission? The shifter bushings are like $15 if it is just bad shifter bushings?

Wiring between 2000 and 98 is very minimal, not many changes from 98-2000, good news for you!

The 4x4 transfer case wiring will need to be swapped over, the harness that goes through the floor to the transfer case would be swapped from the 00 to the 98 as part of your "4wd conversion"

To install a 4x4 tailhousing into a RWD transmission the entire transmission will have to be rebuilt, the "output" shaft is the first thing that gets installed when you rebuild one, the output shaft is what is different from RWD to 4wd, under the tailhousing.

The front end from RWD to 4x4 is easy, all the mounting locations for the front diff are there, basically remove the 98 RWD front suspension, install 00 4x4 front suspension.... I would replace lower ball joints, upper control arms, possibly wheel bearings, and differential seals at the same time. Of course brake parts, sway bar links, etc should also be addressed

I've never done anything like cracking into a transmission. What's involved in getting in there and getting to the bushings? One problem is the condition to work on things is terrible. Don't even really have level ground to work on for dropping the transmission. Or room to set the transmission somewhere and work on it. This is quickly possibly becoming more expensive even with a full donor vehicle. If I have to get a shop to do some things on it.

Dang, if only the '98 was 4wd.

Easy day once you’ve got it on the bench.

First you need to clear a bench!
You have to make some room to work for projects like this

Back