• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

• Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership!

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

My brand new Uniden Pro 520XL CB

ilikedellcomputers

Reaction score
City, State
Calgary, AB, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Jetta GLX VR6
Well I am very happy, Friday night around 2:30 AM I decided to buy a CB, went down to the trucker’s "area" and found a place called "The CB Shop"! To my surprise it was open, after about 20 minutes talking it out with the salesman and talking antennas, different gauge coaxial cable and of course the actual CB unit, I made a purchase. After paying around 200 bucks CDN I found myself installing a Uniden Pro 520XL CB Radio with a (NOT CHEAP: $72.00) generic brand fibreglass whip at 3:40 AM in the morning with my buddy. I can tell you that after finally getting everything installed and working great, I fell in love!!! I am very happy with my choice, the truckers on channel 19 come through as clear as can be, and there seems to always be somebody yakking it up on channel 6!

***I will post pictures as soon as I grab my digital camera out of the safe, so probably tomorrow sometime***

On another note, at this time I would like to give my sincere, whole hearted, THANK YOU to the following totally kick-ass people (in no particular order):

1) leebo (thanks very much buddy, you helped me out a lot, I MEAN A LOT!)

2) Locksmith (you always have the answers!)

3) Alec (I kinda took your idea for where you mounted your CB, just I installed mine on the driver’s side. Just remember, great ideas come from someone or somewhere only once!!) LOL

4) Brian8 (it's cause of you I didn't buy a "crappy metal antenna", and I don't regret it one bit buying a "good" antenna!) LOL

5) mdrut (I am sorry man but I bought a fibreglass whip, and your right, do they ever give good reception!)

Again to all, thank you, and yes, the pictures are coming soon!!!

Regards,

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

ilikedellcomputers

Reaction score
City, State
Calgary, AB, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Jetta GLX VR6
Hellllooooo? People are looking, but people aren't posting... somebody... nobody cares about CB radios are something LOL!!

Peter

ilikedellcomputers

Reaction score
City, State
Calgary, AB, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Jetta GLX VR6
What is up my friends??

This forum "Ham Radio's" must be dead or something, come on people, nobody interested in good ole` CB radio's anymore LOL!!? :)

Regards,

Peter

drmoore71

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
houston, texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Z-71 suburban
hey, peter, did you ever get around to taking the pics? i'm interested in seeing your install. also, what is the diff between cdn and us? what would 200 cdn be in usd?

Tourture

Reaction score
City, State
Philadelphia, Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT
metal whip vs. fiberglass?

when i had a cb in my old car, i experimented with both steel whips and fiberglass ones, and found that the metal one gave better reception ( especially when the "skip" was rolling in....it has been my experience that metal whips, like the K40 and wilson 1000 are much easier to tune to get that 1:1 SWR, then the fiberglass antenna's
again, it all boils down to personal preference.....

eric

-=DaemoN=-

Reaction score
City, State
The Netherlands
Year, Model & Trim Level
Rigless!
I bought this same CB last weekend and it cost $59.95 USD. Peter, I guess your content with it, I can't wait to install mine also. I'm still looking for a good affordable antenna, just don't know what to look for. I have my eye on this glass mount(I think that's what it's called) for $29.99.

Quakecom

Reaction score
City, State
97-00 HHI, SC ************ 00-02 Boston, MA********** 02-04 Augsburg, GERMANY 04-now Munich, GERMANY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Eddie Bauer
glass mount vs magnet mount

Hi,

I too became recently and for no reason interested (again) in CB radios. I ended up buying a Midland radio for 15 bucks on ebay. I was gonna get a glassmount antenna, but was told that magnet mount antenna are way better... So I bought a Hustler antenna (magnet) for 16 bucks and installed it on the roof of my explorer...looks pretty cool.. :)
Will post pics soon...

Quakecom