My bumper guard project | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My bumper guard project

gman1234

Reaction score
So I have been shopping around for some accessories for my first gen, bumpers, bush guards, etc. I haven't had a lot of luck finding many places to buy stuff, and when I do the prices are usually pretty steep. So, I did a little thinking and I borrows a buddies bush guard from his first gen he removed to refurbish so that I could basically copy the design. I run a laser cutting machine at work, am able to use Solidworks to model my projects and then cut them out in my free time on the machine. Also having access to all the steel and welding materials needed I figured I may as well make my own stuff !!! :D

This is a picture of the side of the bush guard I borrowed and dismantled. It's not even thick tubing throughout. Thin gauge steel tubes, .250" plate sides. I will use solid tubing and 5/16ths plate sides for mine.

This is a drawing of what I intend to make. Drawn up using solidworks, I can take the side plates and feed the drawing file into the laser cutting software and cut it out on the machine exactly as shown.

I will be trying to get this cut out this week. I will post more pics of what comes out of it!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's awesome! Nothing like building it yourself. Now if I could just convince the flamecutter operator to send some left over armor steel my way I could be in the same position. Keep us updated!

Here is what the model I copied looks like with the headlight guards. I don't know if I will make some of them or not. Also, there is a possibility that once I have the design figured out, I could hook up some folks with some of the laser cut side plates and little tabs for mounting. After that you just need some 3" OD tubing and your basically set to weld it up. I will keep you guys posted. :D

Thanks man, I am pretty proud of what I have come up with. When your crafting your own stuff the possibilities are seemingly endless. I will post some pics of the project in a few stages, once my piping arrives at work for the tubes! :p

Ok guys! Here she is!! I'm so proud!

Some assembly required :p

img00017hb0.jpg

All welded and dressed, ready for paint!!

img00018hq6.jpg

img00019sk4.jpg

img00016td8.jpg

Let me know what you think! I will post the painted and mounted pictures when it is painted and mounted!! Should be a couple more days!! Woot!!

looks good man, what color are you painting it? I vote a matte black

Did you get it painted and mounted?

Sorry I got a little sidetracked! Here is the finished product, I think it looks spectacular. I went with a low gloss black powder coat. I prefer powdercoat for applications like this.

img00033p.jpg

img00034.jpg

img1621.jpg

img1620swf.jpg

Thanks for the support guys! :salute:

Looks very nice, I like!

Wow that looks great! How much would the pieces cost?

Carson

Sweeeeeeeet :thumbsup: I really like the wide stance :notworthy . Some Brush guards are too narrow and look out of place, but yours is on the money.

OK don't keep us waiting! how much are u gonna be able to make us the side plates for? and wondering what the shipping cost will be to 72901?

how much you asking if you make multiple ones? for both headlight guards and non-headlight guard ones?

How much would you charge me to make one for my 1991 XL? I can't find them online anywhere! If you are up for making one, email me at farmageddonrecords@yahoo.com and I'd be happy to yack with ya about this.

Hey, i doubt you look at this thread anymore, but i was just curious, how thick of steel did you use on the side plates? 3/8 or 1/4? and how long was the tubing? the width you have on that thing is just perfect and looks amazing, sweet job, i think i will be trying to use this as a model for one in my metal shop class as a project.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hey i dont know if you ever looked or will look at this but i want to say thank you for this thread, i used your brush guard as a starting point for mine and i love it.
iUE477s.jpg

1RIrlpS.jpg
the side plates were cut out with an oxy-acetaline torch. i used yours as a template too look at and took cardboard and traced out the shape against my truck (thats why it came out a bit too tall lol) and then built it in shop class.

Back