My clutch is rattling? Please help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My clutch is rattling? Please help

Kevinjamesdalto

Reaction score
City, State
NYC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer sport
When I take off in first gear I hear a rattling sound from underneath and when I put in reverse I hear same sound. Is this the throw out bearing? It is difficult sometimes going into first gear. But rattling just started. No rattling when I shift to 2nd gear and so on. Anyone had this problem before? And what am I looking at money wise to replace throwout bearing/ clutch/ tranny.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...the throwout bearing would be better heard not in gear, as when in neutral with clutch in you would hear it or in neutral with clutch out, sound disipates....
...have you got under the truck and looked at the moving parts??? could it be your u-joints??? let us know...i believe if you search u joint replacement you might find some answers...:D

...the throwout bearing would be better heard not in gear, as when in neutral with clutch in you would hear it or in neutral with clutch out, sound disipates....
...have you got under the truck and looked at the moving parts??? could it be your u-joints??? let us know...i believe if you search u joint replacement you might find some answers...:D

When I push clutch in I hear a faint noise in neutral, then when I put it in gear and pull away I hear a rattling sound. Only in first gear and when I put it in reverse and back up.

...i am still thinking it's a u joint...the rattling in some cases may sound like a coat hanger??? your throwout bearing would be making a noticable amount of noise and you would know it...i am also thinking this since you have not mentioned any type of highly noticable vibration...:scratch:

Ya know, I get the same kind of rattling sound in my 90 F250, which has the larger version of the mazda trans that the Ranger uses. It sounds like loose bearings bouncing around in the bellhousing. :eek:
I will pay more attention to when it specifically does it, clutch in or out, etc.
I plan to drop the trans in the near future anyway, I'm having major problem getting into gears, bad slave-like.

...rangerx, are you due for a clutch or are you tearing it down for the shift problem only??? the reason i ask is i had something similar on one of my f250's and it turned out the clutch was warn paper thin, cracked, and i needed a new flywheel...i don't remember any rattle at all though...i'm curious as to what you will find...:popcorn:

When I push clutch in I hear a faint noise in neutral, then when I put it in gear and pull away I hear a rattling sound. Only in first gear and when I put it in reverse and back up.

I had the same thing. It took a long time to diagnose, but it turned out to be a worn out pilot bearing. (sits in flywheel to support trans shaft
) the bearing was completly gone, have to remove the transmission to replace....

Back