My custom axe mount

nak4af

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Bellevue, Nebraska
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer Sport
O.K. everyone! AlaskanJack and I were brain storming over this and this is what I did to mount my axe in my cargo area.

The parts!
5858IM000079.jpg

I made this to secure the axe handle to the wall.
5858IM000085.jpg

Finished product.
5858IM000086.jpg

5858IM000089.jpg

This is with the axe removed from the mount.
5858IM000091.jpg

It was fairly simple to do. The pin was expensive and almost too long. It barely touches the seat but doesn't hit it hard enough to release it.

What do you guys/gals think?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks!

Here's a couple of close-up's of how the handle is held in place.
5858IM000094.jpg

5858IM000095.jpg

Maybe I should sell this idea to Ford for the NBX edition Explorers??? Who knows! Maybe they would pay me for it and I could get a solid axle like everybody else!!!
:D :D :D :D :D :D

I have got to go out and get me one of these Fiskar Axes they Rock!!!!!!

The way Chris went about mounting this was truely inventive. He sandwiched the plastic between two large washers and the locking pin has a spring installed on it to keep it tight. To remove he just pushed the button and out comes the pin. It grabs on the washers in the plastic interior.

This is more secure than I thought it would be, but since the axe is light it doesn't flex the plastic at all. This has given me several more ideas for Road Hazard equipment I carry and its possible storage.

Oh and trust me Chris uses his Axe. We did some trail clearing and he loves a challenge. Rather than turn back when we ran into a 12-14" diameter fallen tree he hooked up to it and plowed the forest down until it cleared the path we were on.

Originally posted by AlaskanJack
...he hooked up to it and plowed the forest down until it cleared the path we were on.

Just to make it clear to everyone! We always tread lightly!! ;)

Originally posted by nak4af
Just to make it clear to everyone! We always tread lightly!! ;)

Uhhmmmm of course we do!!! Anyways Cody aka(Eminem) said the axe install was "COOL"!

Thanks MAN!!

I'll let you use it one day, just DON'T swing it at me!!!
:nono:

All I have to say is "Let god be with you" in the case of a hard accident and that thing goes flying!

Actually, I did consider that before mounting. The axe clips into the case very well, plus the pin holds it very well also. If you grab the handle and pull, you'd rip the washers through the plastic before the handle would come off. Besides, that's why I put it on my side. I would rather get injured than have my passenget get wacked!!

But yes!! Let GOD be with me! Every day!!

Back