wired_af

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Wichita, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Sport
hey,
ok, im having problems with my drivers side door locking. a couple months ago my drivers side door would not lock, so i traced the problem to a spring that broke off in the door lock mechanism (the part that latches)....i found a spring and replaced the broken one. now after i put everything back together, the door doesnt lock all the way...i have to push down on the plastic screw top thing to fully lock the door. i dont think actuator is messed up because that moves, it just doesnt move far enough to lock the door. there is an adjustment inside the door for the lock (i think its for the lock), but it doesnt adjust to where it locks all the way. i think that lock latch mechanism is messed up, but im not sure and i dont want to buy the wrong part. anyone know whats wrong? thanks in advance.

When my actuators failed (I've replaced 2 of them, pass door and hatch) they eventually fail completely in at least one direction (i.e. locks but won't unlock).

Your problem sounds like the latch is messed up to me. When you replaced the spring, was it exactly the same length, diameter and wire size as the one that was broken?

well actually the spring was the same one that broke...the hook on the end broke off so i bent it a new hook and put it back on.....i didnt know that about the actuator. it moves in both directions but i just have to move it a lil more by pusting down on the plastic deal....i guess i will try that adujustment again...

thanks

By shortening the spring, you increase the spring force for the same amount of travel. Do you think that might be part of the problem?

Back