my engine has problems... | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

my engine has problems...

410, I like that idea better. How do I know what to look for? Like I said, I don't know the newer engines. I am used to the 60's V8's. And no, I'm not that old. I'm only 23.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

call around
make a list of whos got what and for how much

Say I need a 93-2001 Ford ranger or explorer 4.0L OHV V6

list miles, price, year, and TRANSMISSION it was from
They will usually do a compression test on them as well
ask about a warranty and also ask if its already out of the vehicle (availability)

I have not had a car payment for 13 years...now you know why
Heck I gave my old 93 OHV 4.0L away to a friend, there are lots of them

You could give me one :)

Just kidding, I called a couple of junk yards in West Valley City and they both offer 120 day, 6,000 mile warranties. Is that good? The first one said he would do a compression test for $15.

$15 is not bad for a compression test at all, but I am curious as to why they charge for it, most yards do it to all used engines, it keeps you from having customers who bring them back

I would say that warranty on a used engine is a great warranty, but dont forget you have to do all the labor
The more you trust the yard the better, if they have been around a long time chances are they dont screw people and are honest

The thing is though, is that they give prices, but they will not say if they have anything. You have to go there. And I have to pull the motor and tranny myself. But at least then I can look at the vehical it came from. Because if it has been hit in the front I don't want the motor. It could have been damaged.

if you do pull it yourself feel free to give me the vin, i'll do a history report on it

How hard would it be to convert it to 4x4? I have an auto tranny.

your truck is 2wd and you want to convert to 4x4 now?

Pulling an engine from the donor yourself is risky because you dont know if it ran.
There are PLENTY of yards out there who will run the engines, check for codes, leaks, do a compression test, write down the results, year, and miles and then stick the engine on a pallet until it sells.

I can get $4-500 4.0L's all day long here in CO this way

keep calling around, I would think UT would have alot of these trucks as well

4x4 converion is a whole other thread

Good thought... Ill keep looking, thanks.

Back