my ex is dead.... well my trans is. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

my ex is dead.... well my trans is.

Reaction score
City, State
downers grove, il
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Sport
so... i was driving my explorer today and the trans decided to slip out of gear then back it to gear at 4000 rpm when i was climbing up some rocks. after that happened it would not move at all. none of the gears worked. the only thing that works is park. is there anything i can do to make it drive again or is the trans dead? and does anyone have a trans with low miles for sale that is close to the Chicago area?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oh, thats to bad. You weren't stranded on the trail by yourself were you?

I'm just curious, how many miles are on your transmission?

yea fluid level is good. thanks for the link.

Oh, thats to bad. You weren't stranded on the trail by yourself were you?

I'm just curious, how many miles are on your transmission?

theres around 120000 but i beat the hell out of it and i have 33's with stock gears

no.. i wasnt stranded i was with like 5 other trucks and someone knew a tow truck driver so i got a tow home for free. i live only 10 minutes away from where we were at so it wasn't too far.

so.... i dropped the pan today and the fluid was black.... im guessing that wasn't helping my trans to much...

so.... i dropped the pan today and the fluid was black.... im guessing that wasn't helping my trans to much...

Your transmission just over heated. Your rebuild should just be as simple as replacing all your bands, clutches and seals.

Told you to check the fluid.....

If you want, do a cheap rebuild on yours, get the new motor in, and i'll take you're old motor, when i drop it in my truck with a c4 i'll give you my a4ld cheap. BUT i have no idea when that would be.

Im going to throw my though in because this is what i did after going through 3 al4ds.

Swap to a 5speed while you have the chance. Its a direct swap after you get everything you need.

Back