• Register Today It's free!

My experience with RCD

jaysend5.0

Reaction score
City, State
Santa Cruz, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 ranger
I just wanted to share my experience with RCD. I purchased the kit from a local shop reccomended by RCD. I installed it myself. The directions were not helpfull at all. The kit was missing alot of minor parts I had to get at hardware stores and such. When I finally got it installed I drove it to the shop to have it welded and aligned. Well The coilovers were so stiff that they acted like steel bars. The ride was terrible. It will not hold an alignment. The ball joints are wearing extremely fast. The axle shafts are wearing very fast. There is no articulation whatsoever in the front and I have to say it wheeled better stock. The rear lift is a joke. The shop looked everything over and spent several hours with it on the lift scrathcing their heads. It was installed correctly and they could find nothing wrong. They suggested I contact RCD. Then it got worse. The customer service is horrendous. I have been calling and emailing for over 4 months and get the run around every time. They have done nothing but empty promises. They keep saying " I will look in to it and call you back" Then I noticed that one of the parts was bent and tried to order a replacement. after a week I called to see what the status was and they are telling me that they cant even take an order. So basically I have to go to a shop and have a part fabricated. I love my truck and it has been really frustrating not being able to drive it for nearly 5 months. With no resolve in sight I think I just sunk almost 6 grand into suspension upgrades that need to be taken off and ebayed.

I would definately recomend against RCD. I have nothing positive to say about the kit whatsoever. I wish my truck was back to stock. Which it may well be if I ever get time to tear it all apart.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

dixonbrothers.com

Drop brackets do not improve your ride, they only raise your frame.
You can re spring and re valve your coilovers for a softer ride

Yeah I really wanted the Dixon bros kit. At the time, I thought it was too much work and too much money. However with the amount of money I have sank into this kit, to try and get it fixed, I could have easily bought the dixon kit. I think I need new springs. I dont know if I should just get replacement 600s or if I should go much stiffer and ditch the sway bars. right now I have the 3.0 and a tube bumper so not alot of weight in the front. but I do have a 5.0 out of a 2000 explorer and a winch to get installed in the near future. So I am thinking 700lbs without sway bars and then when I get the 5.0 and winch on I will put the sway bars back on. The coils that came with the kit definately suck.

Going in I wasnt expecting a better ride, I was expecting to have a decent ride though. My friend has the superlift kit and his rides better than mine.

If I had it to do over again I would have gone dixon. That is where I bought my deaver leafs, hiem tie rods and tube bumper. Dixon bros has great customer service, something RCD is definately lacking.

I am running the stock RCD shocks with 750lb springs and its a perfect combo. Its also weighs 4500 lbs.

I snapped one of the shocks off at the lower mount back in sept. $300 later and I was rolling and waiting on a warranty refund. 6 weeks after the shock reached their door and still waiting. Its been a complete run around. Sad thing is I run a shop that sells their product.

How much is the rcd suspension?

Well if you take it off I would buy some of the parts from the kit. I cant understand how the ride could be stiff though, I had to run 800lb springs on my fox coilovers and bumped the nitrogen to 300psi. And my truck rides incredible.

Back