• Register Today It's free!

My exploder exploded

Imploder

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Smith Montana
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer
The wife was driving my 97 exploder and the 4.0 SOHC (E motor)through a rod out the side of the block . . .violently! The motor is trashed and I have a 95 explorer with a 4.0 OHV (X motor) both are auto trans. how much trouble will find in replacing the SOHC engine with the OHV engine. The OHV has 96K on it but it's free. I am considering just buying a long block and not messing with the swap. Anybody ever do such a swap?

Thanks for the advice.

buy a long block

The PCM needs to match the engine in the vehicle. Your 1995 is OBD-I and your 1997 is OBD-II. The onboard diagnostics is much better on your 1997. If you try to run the OHV with the SOHC PCM the shift points, engine load, open loop air/fuel ratio, ignition timing, etc. will not match the engine characteristics. You would need a tune with the OHV engine charateristics. Also, I think the camshaft position sensor in the SOHC has different electrical characteristics than the synchronizer in the OHV. As I recall the exhaust manifold is better on the SOHC. I don't know if the OHV manifolds will bolt up directly to the SOHC downpipes. The 1995 crankshaft has a 6 bolt pattern for the flexplate. I think your SOHC has an 8 bolt crankshaft. If so, you would have to use the 1995 flexplate. There are probably other differences I haven't mentioned. Sell your complete 1995 and use the money to buy the SOHC long block. Otherwise, you'll probably just end up with two "junkers".

Thank you for a thorough reply!
You answered all my important questions well done.

Looks like this exploder has grown on me and I just cant give it up, sure it has issues but every vehicle has something that could be better. Before the motor blew up this spring I towed my boat to Texas bass fishing and it was flawless. with regular maintenance I think I will be doing a lot more Bass Fishing in the future

I have decided to go with the long block.

Back