My Exploder Won't Start!!! HELP!!!!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My Exploder Won't Start!!! HELP!!!!!!

Explrr96XLT

Reaction score
City, State
Carbondale, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
Here's the scenario...

One day it'll start up and run, but it's rough. When I give it gas it'll sometimes backfire and the RPM's hesitate when going up.

Another day it'll crank but as soon as it turns over it stalls out

Another day it'll just crank and crank and crank but won't turn over.

I just changed my plugs and wires and it didn't help like I was hoping it would. I really can't afford to bring it to a mechanic right now, so I've got to figure this out. If anyone has any ideas, please share.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Crankshaft position sensor, maybe? When it just cranks and won't start can you hear the fuel pump in the tank, when you first turn the key on?

Crankshaft position sensor, maybe? When it just cranks and won't start can you hear the fuel pump in the tank, when you first turn the key on?

I should hear a humming sound right?

I don't hear that sound, and I initially thought it was the fuel pump but it started up and I didn't think that it would start at all with a bad fuel pump.

Where is the crankshaft position sensor? I'm trying to find a how to online and I can't. How would I know if that were bad?

When you turn the key to the "ON" postion, you should hear the fuel pump prime for a second or 2. If not, start by checking the fuel pump relay. Cheap and easy fix. Also, have you thought about replacing the fuel filter?

When you turn the key to the "ON" postion, you should hear the fuel pump prime for a second or 2. If not, start by checking the fuel pump relay. Cheap and easy fix. Also, have you thought about replacing the fuel filter?

I already replaced the relay so that's not it. I've thought about the fuel filter, then after trying to get it off for about 3 hours, put that project on hold.

I sprayed some starting fluid into the air intake hose and she started right up, I'm thinking it's definitely the pump, especially since I don't hear it.

The pump should be audible when the key is first on. You can also check the pressure on the on the fuel rail via the schrader (sp) valve.

If the pump dose't prime when you turn the key to ON, then you are not getting fuel. Check the inertia swithch to make sure its not tripped. Make sure the plug(inertia switch) is on tight on the bottom of the inertial swithch.

The LAST thing you should do is replace the FP.

Mike

Try checking for voltage leaving the relay.... just changing something doesn't necessarily fix a problem.

Back