Not open for further replies.

WormsExplorer

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Colorado Springs, co
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Durango
Well things change a lot at my house. LOL I was able to get my hands on a 98 Sport. Picked her up for free. CAN NOT beat that at all. Here is what she looks like when I first got pics of her.

New  98 1.jpg

Here is her Interior a little messy now but other then that it is almost perfect.

New  98.jpg

Here she is with the new axle just put in.

Fixed 01.jpg

And this is how she is sitting now.

New  98 11.jpg

What is done now -
TT almost to the max
4 door Leaf pack

Plans -
Purchase 32" tires (for now)
Go wheeling for a while

Later Plans - (If I am not happy with just the TT and 4 Door leafs)
2" Body lift
33" Tires
4:10 axles. (This will happen if I go 33's or not.)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well there was an addition to the Ex family here in Colorado Springs. I picked up a 97 Sport. Engine and Trans in excellent condition. Barrings and rear axle though need a LOT of help. Here are the pictures of her. Her Interior is in pretty good shape also. Has the Key pads and Keyless entry. Has the temp and Direction also has Radio Controls and heater controls for the back passengers.Very good condition. I got her for $800. This is my daughters rig. Will keep you all posted on what will happen :)
New ex 2.jpg
New ex 4.jpg

Question for you all. Does my 96 have the Vacuum lock on the front diff? Asking cause I have seen a lot of people talking about the BWM. I have also heard people talk about the 97 not having it. Thank you

96 won't have it, if I remember right 95 did but they are prone to problems.

96 most definitely has the CAD front axle, unless it is a V8 . or has been converted to a live axle like mine!

That's not true, an old friend of mine has two 96 4.0 explorers and both came factory with live axles. He hasn't done anything to them since he got them new, one was his dad's the other was his and he Owens both now.

Not to argue, but I've been with Ford for 30+ years, all 95-96 v6 4x4s that I've ever seen (and it has been many) had CAD. 97-up all were live axle. Best way to tell is to look;)

Well we got rain and snow and fun stuff here today and expecting more tomorrow WAAAHHHOOOO! I thought it was Spring. But I will check that out Hopefully this weekend. Will getting the Axle out of the 97 and put in the 96 work just fine? Or will there be something that I will have to Modify? Thanks all for the reply's.

Yes it will bolt right in, you may need to eliminate vacuum lines IF it has the other axle.

Yes it will bolt right in, you may need to eliminate vacuum lines IF it has the other axle.

Thank you sir. Can not wait to get this build going. Need more nice weather and time. Time keeps running out LOL

I'm about to move back to wy, can't wait for that, but yeah I love the explorer. My wife is about to lose her Mercedes to an explorer.

Wyotech and where I'm from Texas is to hot

I lived in Copperas Cove, TX due to Ft Hood. Do not miss Texas at all

Oh I can't stand tx but I'm in Amarillo and unless you make $18+ an hour you can't make it here or do anything but survive.

OUCH! Well Wyoming will be closer to some AWESOME Trails here in Colorado. If you like doing trails that is. When are you planning to move?

Love trails, my wife is from Denver I'm from Casper Wyoming. I'll be there next month

Well I guess I better get my EX running very soon. LOL.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can help when I get there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back