• Register Today It's free!

My Explorer does not sit right

GT2000

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer V8 AWD
Callsign
Dora the explorer
I have a 98 EB 5.0 explorer AWD. Has the air suspension stuff, and looks as they have been removed prior to me owning. The shocks that are on it however don't look that great anymore either. Anyway, it sits very low in the front, uneven and looks even lower on the drivers front then passenger front. I cranked up the torsion bars a few turns which only helped slightly. Its been this way since I've owned the truck, and i'm sick of it, it looks stupid. Once i figure out why its sits so weird, i'd like if possible to do a 2 inch lift, but again with the air suspension, not sure how that changes things. Anyone know more about the air supension, or possibly why it sits low.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sure the air suspension was pretty cool, basically air bag shocks on all 4 corners from the factory. The problem is when the system gets older it can be very expensive to replace especially with all the plastic air lines running all around and developing leaks
So most people just delete it and run regular shocks

Your ex is suffering from old sagging springs.
Sounds like your rear leaf springs are worn out, you will probably find they are :"de-arched" meaning the main leaf leaves the front eyelet and then you will see a bend in it heading the wrong direction. = time for new leaf springs

The front torsion bars are also likely worn out, the torsion bars are the front springs and they do indeed sag over time and wear out to the point where no amount of adjustment at the torsion bolt will bring the front end back up.

I would suggest new rear leaf springs and new front torsion bars and torsion bar wear pads
OR
find lower mile stuff from a 98-01 5.0 Explorer that is not worn out with a negative arch.
Your rear leaf springs can also be rebuilt, using a new long add a leaf can help get some arch back, rear shackles will also get some lift in the back
You can try adding torsion keys up front to see if you can twist those babies enough to get some front lift back

Leveling the truck is done with tire pressures even, half tank of fuel and measure from the ground up to the fender lip, right at the wheel hub. Bring both sides up to the same height, for a factory 5.0 ex with this is somewhere around 30.5-32" IIRC

let us know what you find. A thorough visual inspection is a good idea to make sure no leaf springs are broken (individual leafs) the torsion bar pads are not worn through (green wear pad above torsion key at the frame), look for rusted out leaf spring supports or shackles, etc. Make sure something broken is not causing your "lean"

The front torsion bars are also likely worn out, the torsion bars are the front springs and they do indeed sag over time and wear out to the point where no amount of adjustment at the torsion bolt will bring the front end back up.

Torsion bars can SNAP too. If they have rust, replace!

Thanks for advice, I can tell you right off the bat that the rear shackles are new because they were rusted paper thin when i got the truck and was an inspection issue. I do however have a shackle set for it that is suppose to do a 2inch lift. In the front like i said i cranked them up a bit (3 turns each) and had only a small effect. Didn't see anything obvious, but I will have to do a closer inspection, pull of the covers and see about the pads.

If you take the weight off the front end you can sink the drivers t bar bolt and see if the truck rises on that side,. then use the pass side bolt to level the front

Since want to put the shackle lift kit a have on (claims two inch lift on the rear) I'm gonna need two inch's in the front to be level + the difference in height already. I did three turns already, and my question is, do u think I can get my 2 inch or maybe little more, out of the front end without binding up axles or anything like that? This also presumes that if I sink the drivers side one it will actually lift it up some. Measured today, Height from ground to plastic fender flares was 32 3/4 Inch on both rear, Right Front was 32 1/4, Left Front 31 3/4 (looks even lower to me). Haven't had much time lately to work on it, but should have time tomorrow, let me know what you think, thanks.

1.5" lift with torsion twist is all you should do
Yes you can get 2" but it will destroy your ride to have the front end maxed out like that.
Make sure your tires are all at the same psi, it is best to level a truck with a half tank of fuel and a driver in the seat....but not always possible

The rear of a SUV is usually a little lower then the front simply because the front tires turn requiring a bit more clearance.
After you lift the rear it will change the geometry up front enough to where you will want to do your leveling and then take it in for alignment

Went to the drivers side tonight and gave it two turns up. Drove for 10 mins and bounced the front end a bit, measured and got 32 1/4, so presuming it doesn't settle anymore, the front in even, back is a 32 3/4, so therefore, tomorrow I could maybe shoot for a inch or inch and a half in the rear with the shackle kit, and then maybe squeeze 1 inch more out of the front. On the drivers side I'm at 5 turns total, and looks like I don't have many threads left on the torsion bolt. I'm thinking I should be able to get an inch out of the front yet and not hurt anything because of the height lost from being warn out?

Went to the drivers side tonight and gave it two turns up. Drove for 10 mins and bounced the front end a bit, measured and got 32 1/4, so presuming it doesn't settle anymore, the front in even, back is a 32 3/4, so therefore, tomorrow I could maybe shoot for a inch or inch and a half in the rear with the shackle kit, and then maybe squeeze 1 inch more out of the front. On the drivers side I'm at 5 turns total, and looks like I don't have many threads left on the torsion bolt. I'm thinking I should be able to get an inch out of the front yet and not hurt anything because of the height lost from being warn out?

Ya I had the same problem when I bought my truck 2001 explorer sport utility any way .. that sagging +on the drivers side happens through the years , because of the gas tank and driver , added weight on the left . What I did was to put spring boosters in . I put 2 light duty Helwigg on the right rear leaf , ( one set ,, front of axle and rear )) and I put heavy duty Helwiggs on the left . Then I did a torsion bar adjustment . Lift at the right front , lowers the rear left and vise versa ,, so i went from there , and it leveled out really good . But before I did that ,, I also installed coil over shocks .

Back