My Explorer finally has a smooth idle!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My Explorer finally has a smooth idle!!

S. Allen

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 XLT 4x4
Well, I bought the 75 dollar Borg-Warner IAC module, along with a new PCV valve, air filter and some electrical contact cleaner spray and went to work on my Ex.

I replaced the IAC module and gasket, replaced the air filter and cleaned ALL of the air snorkel and all tubes going to it. I also cleaned the little sensor (cold air sensor?) halfway up the tube.

I took some Q-tips and a can of STP Throttle-Body Cleaner (Sensor Safe) and cleaned the butterfly and the inside of the throttle body. It was all pretty filthy!

I used the electrical parts cleaner and blasted the MAF sensor several times, letting it dry completely before re-assembling.

I then put the new PCV valve in and disconnected the battery for 30 minutes to re-set the computer.

Wow! What a difference, when I started it up and drove it! Smooth idle and a little better throttle response! Nice! I bet I get better mileage now too (wishful thinking!).

Now...on to replace the 02 sensors as well.

This just goes to show you that just because the PCM isn't throwing you tons of error codes, the sensors are fine. These pieces have been on the vehicle since I bought it - thats 6 years and 135K miles. They were shot...but didn't show it.

Rough running is rough running...I don't need a computer to tell me that!

This cheap fix ran me a little over 100 bucks and about an hour or so on the driveway - not a bad price for a good fix!

If your Ex has a rough idle and you're still not getting any error codes or very few like me, I'd suggest going through and replacing some or all of these sensors. They're mainly plastic and after several years or hard-running in the heat and stop-and-go traffic, they simply wear out.

I know it seemed like I just started yanking and replacing things, but fact is they're OLD PARTS and they were worn out.

Now, the Ex runs smooth...like when we bought it!

Cool...I like the cheap and easy fixes!

-SA

Back