• Register Today It's free!

My explorer project... pics!!

exploder619

Reaction score
City, State
santee
Year, Model & Trim Level
93' xlt
Ok so here is the deal, i have aquired a bone stock 1993 explorer sport 4x4 for $500. I live in socal so this is going to be a mostly desert truck. I have some extra cash lying around so i am planing on lifting it, new tires, bumpers, lights and cb. Here is a list of what i am planing on doing.

PLEASE GIVE ME AS MUCH INPUT AS POSSIBLE!!!!

Lights:
2-4 hella 55 watt lights
1-2 relay wiring

Bumpers:
front:
Custom tube
rear:
orw black tube (have)

Tires:
Bfg all-terains
dominator mud terrains
31's, 32's, 33's?

Lift:
4inch superlift (getting this weekend)
rear 4inch lift leafs

Shocks:
rancho rs 9000
rancho steering stabilizer

C.B.:
Some am cb radio, little cheap one
maybe a hidden ant. or a 2-3 foot one

gears:
idk

Let me know what you guys think. here is a link to my pics, please no messing around on my page, thanks.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v434/velocityballer/Explorer Project/

CIMG1233.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i think i am going with some 31's on stock rims, not too sure yet

hey, sounds like a plan man, but definetly go with some bigger tires.. 31's would look to small under that lift IMO..

You plan on doing any wheeling at all with you Explorer?

A 33" tire will fit at static ride-height but will contact the body in the rear during articulation and especially when nearing full bump.

Go with the Bilstein 5100 shocks, you won't regret it.

1600rubicon1.jpg

dr_evil_1.jpg

Here is a pic of a 31x10.50x15 on a stock 7" wide wheel at full bump (bump stops removed with both axle tubes bottomed against the frame. If you zoom into the pic you can see that the tire just barely tucks under the fender. There was only about an eighth of an inch to spare between the tire and the inner lip. Add more offset to that wheel and a wider tire then show me how it will avoid the stock body in the same situation.

rear-full-comp3-(2).jpg

dr_evil_1.jpg

SteveG3 said:
Add more offset to that wheel and a wider tire then show me how it will avoid the stock body in the same situation.[/IMG]
35x12.5 on a 15x8 with 3.75 back spacing with the stock body. There is no modification to the body when istalling the bushwacker flares. The bottom of the flare is where the stock body is...

The only rubbing in the rear is on the inside of the fenderwell.

You might have seen it before, but this is the proof right here:

1600rubicon1.jpg

Now show me how it doesn't rub with the rear axle at full bump.

I'm sure it's possible that in some, maybe even a lot, of situations that the tires won't rub during articulation. But, I can assure you that they will rub at full bump like I pictured. The truth is, however, that tire rubbing is not really an issue for most people. This site is evidence of that. If you really plan on beating on your truck in the desert though, you don't ever want tire to body contact. Typically the only time this will happen is at higher speeds going over big holes or bumps and landing from a jump. In other words, that last situation you want to increase your chances of a blowout.

For kicks, when I see an Explorer (that looks like its actually used) with 33" or larger tires, I look at the inner fender. Most of them have signs of tire contact.

FROADER said:
If anyone is going to get full bump with 33+ tires, then they would already have taken care of clearance problems.

I wish that was the case but it is rarely true with Explorer owners.

FROADER said:
Anyway, we should stop highjacking the thread.

Agreed.

Bump.

yes i plan on doing minor wheeling but i do not want any tire-to-body contact what so ever. thanks for some of your guys help. Any add-on suggestions would be fantastic.

before 33"'s (31/10.5)
IMG_0663.jpg

after, 33 12.5 procomp Xterrains
IMG_0710.jpg

definately go with bigger than 31's

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if your worried about 33's (which will fit) then go with a 32x11.50 cuz 31's will simply look too small with that amount of lift

Back