My explorer runs rough. 3 MIL codes..... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My explorer runs rough. 3 MIL codes.....

vinnybuffone

Reaction score
City, State
oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 ford explorer
Hey I'm new to this place and I need help. I'm not exactly a beginner at automotive repair but I'm new to the explorer world. I have a 4x4 2003 explorer with a 4.0 v6. It is bone stock with 210,000 miles. It is very clean and has been taken care of. It runs pretty rough, almost sounds like it's misfiring. It is throwing 3 codes: P2197 P0174 and P0153. I have cleaned and checked the MAF and it is testing within specs, changed the spark plug wires and plugs and even changed the o2 sensor on the drivers side, upstream from the catalytic converter( bank 2 sensor 1 as the code description says). I know the codes mean that it is running lean, but it smells like it is running really rich. What things should I check and/or replace? I'm getting ready to change out the fuel filter tomorrow in the event that it isn't getting enough fuel. I visually inspected the vaccum hoses, but may have over looked something. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks .

suggest smoke test

P0153 02 Sensor Circuit Slow Response (Bank 2 Sensor 1)
P0174 System too Lean (Bank 2)
P2197 Lack of sensor Switch (Bank 2 Sensor 1), Sensor Indicates Lean

When fuel doesn't burn in a cylinder it results in a lean condition because of excess O2. Normally defective combustion results in a misfire code. Excessive burned fuel usually results in exhaust black smoke.

I would focus on something unique to Bank 2 (driver side). MAF sensor, fuel filter, fuel pump would impact both banks.

Since you have no misfire codes I would exclude fuel injectors, spark plugs, and ignition. I suggest searching for an intake leak on driver side. In my opinion a smoke test is the only reliable method for finding an intake leak.

Back