My Explorer Sport Build

WormsExplorer

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Colorado Springs, co
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Durango
I had a build thread going and it had to many explorers that I started and then changed then started and then changed and so on and so on. SO I am gonna start an all new thread and just work off this one. I have a 98 Sport 5 speed Manual that I got from a member here on the forum. Here was the picture I got before I picked her up.
New  98 1.jpg

The interior
New  98.jpg

This was all that I had. Her Rear Axle sitting of the the side. BUT it was for free and I had everything I needed to get her back on the road.
This is what she looked like when I got her home.
Mine and my daughter Sports.jpg

What I have done so far. Got 4 door leaf springs and installed them. Put a good rear axle into her and will on the first week of august get the front end completed and fixed. This is what she looks like now.
New  98 11.jpg

Plans -
32" tires
Manual transfer
4.10 axles
hidden winch behind bumper
Roof basket
decent radio. (Must have music on the trails)

Right now this is about all that I want to do with her. Once on the trails and see what she is capable of I will see if I need to do more to her.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Meanwhile I was gonna reply to the other thread but it's closed.

Consider me subscribed :)

Meanwhile I was gonna reply to the other thread but it's closed.

Sorry sir. Wanted to put it to one thread. Some people were getting confused on what vehicle I was building. I started with a 92, then 93, 96, 97, and now this one a 98 sport. This one though I really like. I think this one is gonna be my build. So far really happy with it. We will see what happens when I take her to the trails.

You'll be happy I think, I had a 2WD SOHC truck that'd go anywhere almost, and my V8 2WD does great too, although the LS clutches are past their prime at 271K. These things flat out are nimble.

Ok got front diff installed drive shaft installed and I still do not have 4 wheel drive. Front diff is out of an older year explorer. It has the vacuum connect in the front. I am able to crawl underneath and turn drive shaft and it spins freely. Suggestions please. I think it should not spin freely. If I can hook up the vacuum lines and a switch to turn on when out wheeling I will. But right now I do not have 4wheel drive. :(

Well a little update on my Sport.
Got a CB mounted
New  98 15.jpg

I also cut some weight a little from her Butt. Yes the Bumper was Painted all Black. :) You can also see my Daughters 97 parked next to her.
New  98 18.jpg

And here is another Shot of her Driver Side With my Daughters 97. It is awesome being able to driver her.
New  98 17.jpg

Did not get pictures of it but I also got the Front Diff installed. That was a pretty easy job. Now to head to the Pull and Pay Next Saturday and get the Vacuum connections and what not for the Vacuum axle so I will have 3 Wheel Drive as what mountaineergreen did on his write up. She is coming along pretty good. Still have not been able to get good tires for her. I also was able to get a Transfer case for my daughters Ex and gonna get that in some day.,

Just a Minor Update. Right now My Explorer has my Daughters Rims and tires on her. They are just 30" tires. These rims and tires have been with me for some time.
New  98 19.jpg

I do have a question though. She feels VERY stiff when Driving down the road. Is this due to the TT and 4 door Leaf pack? I actually just used the ******* pack and put it under the main spring of the Sport. The Shocks in the rear are adjustable ie Hard or soft. The front Shocks are shocks I got From Amazon. Just wondering. I do have a main leaf spring from a 4 door if I need to change out the Main leaf. I do like the ride height though :)

Thank you for the help.

OK Question for you all. I did some searching and I guess I am not good at wording it right and found nothing that I can see. But I am wanting to swap to an Auto trans. Is there a build thread for it or would it be to much of an issue to get an Auto into my EX. Love the Standard but wanting the Auto. Old age and knees are not good to me. This is going to be going over rocks for trails. I have driven a Standard over a pretty difficult trail and it was a standard and did pretty good. Just wondering if it is worth it able to.

On another note It does not ride like a tank anymore. I changed out the Main leaf to the 4 door main leaf and it rides pretty good. Now to get her to be 4x4. I put her in 4low and was able to move the Front Drive shaft easily. So I am thinking I need to get a 1354 transfer into her. Or is it suppose to do that. The Front Diff came out of a 95 Ex.

Thanks all.

As far as going from manual shift to automatic transmission, for starters you will need the auto shift steering column and instrument cluster indicator, trans/ t-case, torque converter/flexplate, front and rear d.s., cross members/skid plate, ECM and GEM modules, g-meter, ect. ect., should probably find a complete donor vehicle ans switch everything over, it is no small task.

As far as going from manual shift to automatic transmission, for starters you will need the auto shift steering column and instrument cluster indicator, trans/ t-case, torque converter/flexplate, front and rear d.s., cross members/skid plate, ECM and GEM modules, g-meter, ect. ect., should probably find a complete donor vehicle ans switch everything over, it is no small task.

Thank you sir. That was what I was looking for. Looks like I will stick to the Stick LOL

The other thing is if you converted to the auto you'd get a 5R55E, which is a fragile trans compared to the 4R70Ws in the V8 trucks. I see your point but I'd stick with the manual

The other thing is if you converted to the auto you'd get a 5R55E, which is a fragile trans compared to the 4R70Ws in the V8 trucks. I see your point but I'd stick with the manual

Yeah its looking like I will be staying with her as a stick. Maybe after I build her and do what I can might get another one that is an auto. Who knows. As many explorers I've had in the past 3ish years lol

Man I really miss my manual Explorer, great gas mileage.

I looked at a 95 Sport manual at one point, trans was shot though, sometimes I wish I'd have bought it, just to have, ah well.

Yeah I am really liking this one a lot. My son likes it a lot also. I think the biggest part that he likes is the exhaust. Cause there is no muffler on it at all and it is a 2.5" pipe all the way out from Cats. She is pretty loud. Gonna this weekend install a muffler. Quiet her down a little.

It's a dumped 4.0? I bought my 01 XLT dumped underneath it, that thing sounded AMAZING, loudest 2nd gen I've ever seen. It needed a bit of exhaust though because it was audible half a mile away and I put stock stuff under it and had it all welded up and sold it.

It goes out just behind rear Passenger tire. But yeah No Muffler at all. I am still not understanding my transfer case though. I put it in 4 low I can still move my Front Drive Shaft with my hand. It is in Gear and it is still movable. It that suppose to do that?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Please explain how you can reach the front driveshaft from the driver seat.

Back