My Explorer vs. Honda Accord | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My Explorer vs. Honda Accord

Driving around town last week, I was approaching a red light and coming to a stop when suddenly my truck got slammed from the rear right corner. Some woman making a right onto the street I was on looked to her left, saw she was clear, and failed to look to her right before making her turn and rapidly accelerating - right into the corner of my rear bumper. She hit me pretty hard, hard enough to move the rear of the truck and for me to let a string of profanity fly as I pictured the potential damage.

When I got out I was shocked to find her front end looking like it had been chewed on by a yeti - completely ruined bumper and hood - while the damage to my rig was relatively minor. My rear bumper was pushed 2 inches to the left, the right corner of the bumper was bent in a little, and the tiny piece of fender under my tail light was bent up. All in all, pretty minor, considering what her car looked like. Another benefit of having a lifted vehicle - when people hit you, they go under.

Her insurance is covering it all. She remarked to me how she was upset because she just got her front bumper fixed from another accident a week before. :rolleyes:

This truck is a tank. Explorer 1, Accord 0:

My damage:

Accident1.jpg

Her damage:

Accident4.jpg

Accident2.jpg

Accident3.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Amazing how the $$ adds up from a little visual damage done.

Too bad you cant get an off road bumper instead of a stock bumper replaced. There not that far off in price compared to a new stock bumper.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Jason, can you get the rear bumper replaced with an Eddie bumper since some had the reverse sensors in them? Maybe they're all painted... Hmmm...

Amazing how the $$ adds up from a little visual damage done.

Too bad you cant get an off road bumper instead of a stock bumper replaced. There not that far off in price compared to a new stock bumper.

Got a link to an offroad bumper comparable in price?

Jason, can you get the rear bumper replaced with an Eddie bumper since some had the reverse sensors in them? Maybe they're all painted... Hmmm...

Not sure if the EB bumpers are chrome or would fit, but they factored in labor to drill and re-install my reverse sensor in with the estimate, so that will be taken care of.

Ah ok... After thinking about it, I don't think they had them prior to '98 anyway, so I don't think that would have worked anyway.

James @ RLC makes a nice set of bumpers for your rig. I can't load his site right now to provide a link tho. I was quoted at less than $500 shipped for the rear, and a quick search for stock price was over $400.

Can always call him.

RLC Welding and Fabrication

Louisville, KY

(502)403-6832

glad that ur ok

Thanks Sam.

I dropped the rig off yesterday. Progressive sent it to a local shop and they're going to replace the bumper, fix and repaint the fender, and straighten the frame. I'm getting a check for $582 to cover the exhaust, shock, and alignment. I also got a rental.

Here's my ride for the week: :D

2010KiaSoulFront400.jpg

Jason, if you rent a hamster suit and drive around with it for a day, I'll donate $20 to the forum... :D

Jason, if you rent a hamster suit and drive around with it for a day, I'll donate $20 to the forum... :D
X's 2. Shoulda got one of these though...

168614_1731245876587_1101717368_1927882_3747810_n.jpg

Well, they gave me one of these when I had my rental when I explorer was totaled, but now this one I own. haha

Hahahaha...You'll need to donate at lot more than $20 - and it needs to go to me, not Rick. ;)

X's 2. Shoulda got one of these though...

Well, they gave me one of these when I had my rental when I explorer was totaled, but now this one I own. haha

I had no other options! It was the brand new Soul or some dingy older sedan. If I coulda got a pickup I would've, trust me.

That always seems to be the line at the rental places "we have no other vehicles". Yet when my girl needed a rental she got a brand new 2011 Grand Cherokee. Atleast you got some soul though.

Dan

Are you getting a new "grey" plastic piece that sits on top of the bumper? If so, are they going to paint it to match the rest of your "grey" plastic.

I really like your painted plastic parts. It's on my list of TO DO for when the weather gets better.

Thanks Tom. They're replacing that trim piece, yea. I do not believe they're repainting it, though if I told them they probably would. In all honesty, I'd rather just do it myself. It'll take all of 30 minutes and I'll know what paint was used, etc. I'll handle that when I get the truck back.

Fixed! Picked her up last night. Everything looks great. They even repainted the top piece of trim black to match. I have to say, progressive was amazing to work with. After my experience I'm actually considering switching my insurance over to them. They were great.

And at the end of the day, I got a rental for a week, the fender fixed, frame straightened, brand new bumper AND a check for $690 to handle the shock boot, alignment and exhaust. I get alignments for free, the exhaust only needs to be yanked 2 inches to the side, and 1 shock boot is melted. :D

I shall put my check towards 4 new shocks in the spring, plugs and wires, and possibly all new brake lines, as mine are horribly rusted.

I should get into fender benders more often!

Awesome! Good news.

May I suggest some RS9000XL for your new shocks? I couldn't be happier with them. They are leaps and bounds over the RS5000 series. Being adjustable (9 settings, simple to do) for street & off road, or anything between is super nice to have.

Gregg, I've been running the 9000XLs for 6 years now. ;)

I'm going to be getting them again, liked them, even though I stopped adjusting them after like a year and then all the adjuster knobs broke off at Rausch creek. :rolleyes:

Whoops! LOL

It's still early in the AM, my memory recall isn't up to speed yet. Couple more cups of coffee, and I'm sure I would have remembered you had them already :)

I'm lucky with those knobs, since I have the U-bolt skids that have raised the lower shock mounts 3", there protected and still on. I know you can get replacement knobs cheap for them as well.

Good deal! Pics of the fresh repairs?

crap i missed comenting on the hampster mobiele...

i would have thrown in money to see the hampster suit...

as a matter of fact now i want to get a hampstersuit and go to kia and ask for a test drive

funny story about rentals when your trucks in the shop, i had turned down enterprise when they tried to give me a focus a couple of years back when my truck was in the shop... irony...

Whoops! LOL

It's still early in the AM, my memory recall isn't up to speed yet. Couple more cups of coffee, and I'm sure I would have remembered you had them already :)

You're excused. :D

Good deal! Pics of the fresh repairs?

I picked it up after dark last night, and this morning I've got about 2 inches of snow on the truck and it's still falling - so no pics for now.

funny story about rentals when your trucks in the shop, i had turned down enterprise when they tried to give me a focus a couple of years back when my truck was in the shop... irony...

If you're implying that in a few years i will be driving a Soul, you are sadly mistaken. I felt like less of a man in that thing! Haha

And take pictures if you show up to Kia in a hamster suit. :D

Back