My first 4X4

Carbonemission

Reaction score
City, State
San Jose
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford Explorer Sport
6VmfxAj.jpg

Hello all, very excited to finally be a part of the 4X4 game!
I purchased my 1993 Ford Explorer Sport last week from an auction for 450$
Took a new starter and battery to it and she fired right up! took her for a drive and only got to about 30mph before the engine was racing. dang.. no gears! 4x4 is currently non functional as well. I feel that with a little TLC it will become quite a capable trail vehicle. Its nice to be part of a forum with such a vast collection of information and guides. I'm sure this will save me and others from many headaches in regards to maintaining and modifying these vehicles.

I have some plans in mind already with the first priorities set to help get er back on the road!

1993 Exploder sport 4.0 V6 4X4
------MAINTENANCE--------
Replace Serpentine belt
Replace trans. governor, gasket, filter and fluid
Lube Eng. oil differential T-case
brake inspection
wheel bearings
tires/alignment

---------MODS----------
Locking front hubs
Auxiliary trans cooler w/filter
3" suspension lift
31-33" all terrains
bumpers sliders and a winch
Onboard air
Auxiliary battery with jumper cable connections on the front and rear
Oil pressure, coolant temp, trans temp and oil temp gauges
some sort of differential lock

Currently in the process of finding a MT donor vehicle so I can scrap the automatic drivetrain all together but for now Im hoping to limp the A4LD along till we get there. Looking forward to all the tips and feedback I can get here!
v4fcIa9.jpg

That truck looks nice, but judging from that car in the background Id sniff around for drying glue lol

Welcome, nice looking Sport.

That truck looks nice, but judging from that car in the background Id sniff around for drying glue lol
Shes a little rough around the edges and will need some work to be back in order but for 450 I cant complain. I work for the yard that auctioned it so I had my eye on it since it came in. I know where you're coming from though about the bodywork... but where not that kind of yard.

Back