My First Car: 1996 Ford Explorer XLT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My First Car: 1996 Ford Explorer XLT

Abelej

Reaction score
City, State
Dover, Delaware
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer
Hey guys,

I'm so glad to have stumbled across this site. The amount of knowledge and helpfulness from this community is humbling. Anyway, I've been driving my family's 96' Explorer XLT since I got my license in high school. I'm a competitive rock climber and I've been living out of the back of it in the mountains of West Virginia for some time now. That car has never let me down, but now that I'm through my first year of college, my family thinks I should get rid of the Explorer and buy a new car. The only problem is, I love that car. I rather pour money into that car than buy a newer one. I've decided that I'm going to upgrade this car and show it some love instead of trading it in. I understand the basics and fundamentals of cars, but I would still consider myself a newbie. I have plenty of questions to ask and I'm excited to get some good guidance from y'all.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Economics vs love?
Your choice.

Getting excellent information?
You're in the right place.

I'm pretty good with cars, but the Explorer is a whole 'nuther experience. I learned a dozen important things here in my first week. Way better than reading manuals and wiring diagrams and trying to teach myself!

I think you'll be happy with your choice. Theres absolutely no reason to get a different vehicle because someone else wants you to, especially when you love the vehicle you have.

What are you looking to do to it? Lift? Bigger tires? Electronics?

Upgrades

I'm looking to put a bull bar on it. I hit a deer pretty hard last summer. Deer in the roads are a huge problem where I live in the summer so I figure the bull bar might protect the body a little bit?

I'm also looking to do a suspension lift on it and put some big tires on it. The current suspension is still the stock suspension and I can feel every pebble in the road so that's gotta go. If you know of any good lift kits please tell.

Welcome! Cheers from Las Vegas!

Back