My First Explorer, 2000 EB | Page 24 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My First Explorer, 2000 EB

As per the instructions above here's the info:
2000 Explorer Eddie Bauer Edition 5.0
I'm from Parsons KS and you can contact me easily through a PM here.

Well, they aren't good pics. They were provided by the seller using a cell phone. But this is my 2000 Explorer Eddie Bauer Edition. I am going to "visit" it today at the sellers house and pull the radiator. My next day off I get to install a new one (would do them both today, but had to order the radiator). Jon (Turdle) has already provided me with the link to the radiator replacement thread. (Thanks again Jon)

Mods will be slow due to funding and the need to finish putting an engine in my other vehicle (seen below). Probably just go with exhaust and slightly more aggresive tires when funds allow. Any suggestions for basic upgrades? LOL I'm a seasoned Veteran with Thunderbirds, but a newbie with Explorers.

Explorer01.jpg

Explorer02.jpg

Explorer03.jpg

Explorer04.jpg

Explorer05.jpg

Explorer06.jpg

Explorer07.jpg

My other vehicle can be seen here:

GT_Touched_SM.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Things to do to the Lil Eddie before CCR:
NEEDS:
1) Front end inspection and replace worn items.
2) Replace and paint rear hatch. Done
3) Replace broken Aux light. Done
4) New Tires. Done

Would be nice:
1) Mustang Hood Scoop W/fresh paint to match hood
2) fresh paint all around (yea, I'm gonna do it... I keep threatening to learn to paint.)
3) New extended flex CV axles
3) Build a Roof Rack

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Well, the only real big items are the rear hatch and maybe the front suspension if I find anything real nasty, but I don't anticipate that. I can finish the front end in a weekend. The hatch involves paint so....
We'll just have to see. This weekend is putting up the carport in front of the shed/shop, and if I have time wiring the shed/shop.

Things to do to the Lil Eddie before CCR:
1) Mustang Hood Scoop W/fresh paint to match hood
Okay, I'll bite. . . . What's the plan with this ? ? ? I mean, I understand the concept, but have you sourced the scoop, know if it fits the hood body lines, etc. ? ? ?

"Inquiring minds want to know. . ."

It's a 2000 Mustang GT scoop. Ive seen one on a 2nd gen Explorer. It looks pretty good I think. Easy installation.

oooh like the one on mike65 ranger? or different?

Yours if you want it. . .
Mustang#4 (2).jpg

Off our 2001 GT (RIP). Removed when we added the shaker.

Paul

oooh like the one on mike65 ranger? or different?
No, I saw one on a red 2nd gen Explorer. Just can't remember the name of the owner.

Tires are ordered,will be here this week.
Rear hatch is painted and installed
Front end is today.
I installed a left front Timken hub only to discover after getting the wheel on that the slack I felt was upper control arm bushings so.... off to NAPA (thank God for employee discounts!). About to tear down the left side all over again... and it's over 100 out here. Whew!

Got the upper control arm installed. Man they are a PIA. Everything else seems snug and tight, so I'll leave them for now.
Now just need an alignment. I'll get that done as soon as the new tires are installed.

Hey, how about that hood? No worries, realize it’s a lower priority, but want to see how it comes out…

Paul

I'm anxious to get that hood done as well, but it's just to look good so mechanicals have to come first. I've tried to take this thing to 2 events over the past 2 years and something always failed. Not gonna happen this year.

Got the new tires put on. I like them, though they are a little bigger than anticipated. But can't complain about that can I! 😁

20220712_184949.jpg 20220712_184921.jpg 20220712_184929.jpg

Ok, tried a test run towing the camper up to just past Payson AZ. It was a HOT day (about 110) and the Explorer was getting warm climbing hills (up to about 220). Shutting the AC off helped quite a bit, but since the wife can't stand it without AC we headed back. I did upgrade to 33" tires, wondered it perhaps that could be it, I'm running 4:10s right now.

I would say you just asked too much from it. Deeper gears would surely help, but the trailer is most likely too heavy for those conditions. Increase your cooling capacity, dual E-fans with over 3k CFM's would help too. Or just drop a 347 stroker in it, or a power adder. lol

Ok, first. Something I notice with scangauge is less coolant circulation over ect sensor with ac on. Switching to heat, floor gives a more accurate coolant temp reading. Try this for yourself, wait a few seconds after switching to floor vent heat, watch temp go down. With ac on, temp will be about 7-10 degrees higher.

When 220 is shown on scangauge, what did dummy gauge read? I've seen as high as 230 with ac on, and the factory gauge was still in the normal range. I believe a code will be set if overheat occurs.

In other words, 220 degrees is not concerning to me. Not with ambient 100 degrees. I think that is actually good if you were towing the camper.

Took LilEddie in for an alignment after putting on a new upper control arm. Turns out I need both inner tie rod ends replaced. The shop offered to install new ones for "only" $420. I politely declined and said I'd put them in myself and then return the truck for alignment. He said I understand and no charge for the diagnosis. So.... now I get to spend another Saturday working on the truck... in 100*+ weather. Just a small rant.. :)

Took LilEddie in for an alignment after putting on a new upper control arm. Turns out I need both inner tie rod ends replaced. The shop offered to install new ones for "only" $420. I politely declined and said I'd put them in myself and then return the truck for alignment. He said I understand and no charge for the diagnosis. So.... now I get to spend another Saturday working on the truck... in 100*+ weather. Just a small rant.. :)

Well that's good news, you will make about $370 that Saturday for your labor.

if they are even close to worn out now is a good time for outer tie rods as well

Inners are the Achilles heel, for these rigs that hit the trails. Weak sauce. Checkout some of the mods done for them. At least always carry a spare.

I agree, replace the outers at the same time, and go up to HD Pro grades for both.

Back