• Register Today It's free!

My first Explorer

DonnyG

Reaction score
City, State
South Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer ecoboost
I recently traded my 2010 F150 in for a 2012 Explorer Limited Ecoboost. The Explorer is primarily driven by my wife. A big concern of mine is she says she's only getting approx 250 miles to a tank of gas (city). Thats about 13 mpg. Has anyone experienced this as well? Is there a significant increase in the highway driving? Thanks in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum and congratulations on your new vehicle!

The mileage should improve as the engine gets fully broken in, which can take a few thousand miles. You can expect your mileage to slowly creep up during that period of time. If most of its miles are city miles, the mileage will most likely stay pretty low, unless you have a feather-weight foot or never hit red lights.

What was the F150 getting being driven in the same manner? I would expect that you could beat that number.

Also keep in mind that winter gas is being shipped right now, and that can lower your mileage by 2-3 on average per gallon.

Happy driving.

I hope so. Just broke 1,000 miles on it yesterday. The F150 was getting about the same in the city. Taking a trip to Louisiana next month from South Fla so hopefully we get some good MPGs. Thanks again

Around the city, I'm averaging 12.7 to 13.4 MPG. It could be numerous factors from ethanol in the gasoline and it's the wintertime where you have the winterblend of gasoline which doesn't help MPGs either.

I am dissapointed though that my MPGs are 3 less than the rated but I did reach 23.2 MPG in the summer driving on the highway at around 75 MPH so the MPGs for highway seem pretty accurate.

I recently traded my 2010 F150 in for a 2012 Explorer Limited Ecoboost. The Explorer is primarily driven by my wife. A big concern of mine is she says she's only getting approx 250 miles to a tank of gas (city). Thats about 13 mpg. Has anyone experienced this as well? Is there a significant increase in the highway driving? Thanks in advance
Welcome to the Forum DonnyG. :wavey:
As Vince mentioned, your mileage should improve a bit over time. Winter is also not the best time for good fuel mileage. It isn't just the change in gas but the colder temperatures/dry air in general don't help. I've been driving for close to 50 years and have noticed that mileage always drops this time of the year, Winter grade gas or not. Once you get some miles on it and the weather warms up you should see an improvement in your mileage.
Congratulations on your, or should I say, your wife's new ride.;)

Peter

Thanks everyone i appreciate the advice

Back