• Register Today It's free!

My first Ford ever and im 46

ef4door

Reaction score
City, State
Baker City Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Ford explorer sport
Hi everyone just bought my first ford vehicle ever and it's a 2016 explorer sport just wanted to introduce myself and find out if there is a known problem with this model I should be looking for

Thanks in advance for any information
20220916_191553.jpg
20220916_191605.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to EF. The biggest issue, IMO, is the internal water pump in the 3.5L V6 engine. Any (and I mean ANY) drop in coolant is cause for immediate concern. Sometimes the water pumps fail slowly and give a warning by showing coolant leaking on the ground or by the coolant level dropping in the reservoir. Other times it fails catastrophically and and dumps all the coolant into the crank case which destroys the engine. The water pumps have a decent enough failure rate to warrant keeping a vigilant watch on the coolant level in the reservoir.

Our 2015 Edge has the same engine (without the turbos) and I keep an eye on the coolant level once, or twice, a week. Sometimes the water pumps can go for well over 200k miles without an issue. Other times they fail catastrophically under 100k miles. Most times they fail with some level of warning and when this occurs I recommend getting it to a shop immediately to have the pump replaced and maybe even towing it there. The cost to replace the pump isn't cheap and typically runs $2-$3k depending on if you want to also change the timing chains and guides while you have it apart.

Welcome to the forum. What's the mileage?

Welcome to EF. The biggest issue, IMO, is the internal water pump in the 3.5L V6 engine. Any (and I mean ANY) drop in coolant is cause for immediate concern. Sometimes the water pumps fail slowly and give a warning by showing coolant leaking on the ground or by the coolant level dropping in the reservoir. Other times it fails catastrophically and and dumps all the coolant into the crank case which destroys the engine. The water pumps have a decent enough failure rate to warrant keeping a vigilant watch on the coolant level in the reservoir.

Our 2015 Edge has the same engine (without the turbos) and I keep an eye on the coolant level once, or twice, a week. Sometimes the water pumps can go for well over 200k miles without an issue. Other times they fail catastrophically under 100k miles. Most times they fail with some level of warning and when this occurs I recommend getting it to a shop immediately to have the pump replaced and maybe even towing it there. The cost to replace the pump isn't cheap and typically runs $2-$3k depending on if you want to also change the timing chains and guides while you have it apart.
Thank you for the heads up on the water pump I will definitely keep my eyes on the coolant level

Welcome.

Back