My first Ford Explorer 03' | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sensei Wu

Reaction score
City, State
Ft Lauderdale Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer xlt
Hey guys ,I'm new on here but have already gotten some useful information. So thank you!
Well my lateest question is "Do some Explorers, without the premium sound system still have a factory amp?" I know I don't have a sub, because I have a lil storage area where it would be.. But I'm curious because I've read in a few places that its possible to have a factory amp without the prem system. And also, does anyone know what I need in order to hook up my amp and sub enclosure? Using the factory HU for now. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!
James A.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Short answer is yes.
The factory setup is crap though. It’s weak and muffled. You’d be better with an after market sub and amp. 10” sub and amp just big enough to drive it.

I put an 8” kicker in my factory box with a kicker amp. Ended up ditching it for an 10” kicker truck box. Sounds that much better.

Yeah I have a box and the amp to push it but I wasn't familiar with the adapter, I was reading about, that I would need to hook my amp to the factory HU, so I was thinking maybe use the one already there, if there was one that is. Eventually I plan on getting a new HU when the funds become available lol
Are you familiar with that adapter? The one I would need in order to connect the rca cable?
Thanks for the help!

The only adapter that comes to mind, plugs into the factory amp wiring. Which you probably don’t have.

Thanks yeah I don't. I do have another question tho. I keep seeing two different ford adapters to use when installing an aftermarket HU. One is blk and the other is wht.? They look similar but at closer inspection the shape of them, at the part that would lock them together, is definitely different. Any idea why that is? I attached pics of them below. I know I can just pull out the existing hu but I'm not trying to do that until I get ready to install the other unit. And I want to buy the rt one before hand. Thanks!

When I changed my non-premium/no sub stock radio I just used a basic wiring adapter for hookup to the truck’s harness. This gave me all four speakers, constant 12V, Switched 12V, dimmer control, and ground. The OEM speakers did sound pretty good IMO.

I ran the sub as usual, RCA sub-outs and amp control direct from the HU (Kenwood DDX574BH).

Back