My First Post, Some Questions.

AnabolicFrolic

Reaction score
City, State
Bend, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 XLT
Hello Guys.
This here would be my first post on this forum, which i actually discovered today. Im 20, and am currently going to college in Bend, Oregon. I drive a 2001 Explorer XLT w/ the new V6, i bought it new back in January of this year. I absolutely love this truck. Its a giant step up from my previous 92 Ford Aersostar.
Here a few quick pics of the car in its current state-
View

Dead Link Removed

Anways- to the point of my post-
At this point its all stock, Everything on the truck is a factory installed option or part of the XLT package. The only reall mod ive done is put in a pretty nice stereo system in (3 10in subs, 10disc changer, stuff like that)
Since summer is here, and ill have some extra money over summer to invest in my Explorer, i come to you guys for advice.
What do you guys see as some pretty "essential" mods to my truck? My budget will be anywhere from 2000-2500$
Im open to pretty much any suggestions - like-
appearance mods ( grills, tailight or headlight covers)
Performance ( Air Intake systems, Exhaust systems)
Functional stuff ( fog lights, headlamp bulbs, Lift kits)
I havnt found a whole lot on the web in terms of information and aftermarket stuff for the Explorers (especially not late model ones)
Thats why i came here. Again any suggestions would be great- if you could tell me the est. Cost, manuf., and place to buy it, along with your suggestions. that would be totally AWESOME.
Thanks in advance for your help- and from what ive seen on this board, you guys have some really nice explorers, im glad to have found some enthusiasts like myself.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the site! This is a great resource for ways to spend a lot of money on your X. What I did to mine first was air intake (K&N), exhaust, torsion/shackle lift, and BFG 31's. That's all only going to run you about $700. I'd get the performance and lifting stuff out of the way early. Good luck and make sure you keep us posted on all your mods.

I'd like to welcome you to the site. You'll find anything and everything all right here. :)

Onto your question. What do you use your explorer for?? If you wish for preformance I'd start with the KKN and maybe a chip. If it's an everyday SUV I'd upgrade the shocks and tires. You're ride will thank you. Not only will the ride improve, new tires always look better. :)

What are you looking to do with your explorer??

Hey! Welcome to the site. You'll love it! You have a pretty cool truck. If you want, you can do the things mentioned by Lee and Whitaker. You can also put some tint up front to match the rest of the side windows. I want to do that but I have the bronze tint and I can't find a match so I didn't put any in.

I have one suggestion about your pictures. You should use a photo editing software and wipe out the letters and numbers on your license plate. Some people may use your license plate number and find out about your life. Just a little suggestion.

Thanks guys- a few more Q's

Ok thanks for the suggestions so far-
i went ahead an edited the liscense plate in my pics. i forgot that time, usually i do edit that out- oh well fixed now- and thanks for the reminder.

As for use of my explorer- hmmm
I would like to get into offroading- but as my new X has the 5 year extended warrently plan- my biggest concern is going to be not doing stuff to my truck thats gonna void parts of my warrenty.
SO basically untill im done with the 5year warrenty i will stay away from the TT and Warshackle bit.(unless im mistaken and this wont affect warrenty at all)
Right now the X sees the street, dirt roads and snow. but nothing serious.
I was looking at that explorer express X supension package- it looks pretty nice- do any of you know anyone who has that done? and what do they think of it?

Also- regarding the chips, mass air sensors, throttle bodys and exhaust systems - how do these affect warrenty on the vehicle? last thing id hate to do it have engine trouble, take it to the dealer and have them tell me it will cost me such and such a $ because i have done this or that-
Indeed i would like to increase the power, the v6 could use a little boost tho.

WHat brush guards do you guys reccomend? which ones do you like the best- brand names etc..

leebo-- what are u suggesting for shocks and tires- i have the firestones on now, and i just got a letter from our dealer than i can take them back and get my new sets.. so thats kinda nice, i wish i could wear this tires out a little more- i has studded tires on for winter and have only put like 600 hundred miles on these firestones.

96EEB-- do you know anything about the legality of tinting the front side windsheilds- maybe im just confused, but i thought there was some dumb law about tinting those windows.

oh!

Hey explorer express in the BAY area california. didnt kno that. ill be in the bay area all summer- maybe ill go down there and actually look at the stuff before i buy it. thats awesome

Hey Anabolic... how was Bachelor this year? I usually make it up there a few times per season, but I worked out in Utah this winter. What do you do there in the winter and what do you do in the Bay area summers (if you don't mind me asking)?

Bay area is my home- grew up in cali/bay area.
went to H.S there etc.

i am going to college in oregon- parents have a retirement house up there they arnt living in yet, so i stay there.. and go to skool and snowboard all winter. i got about 150 days in this winter. this season wasnt too good. u got much better in UTAH im sure. we didnt get any nice dumps of snow or anything. so not many epic powder days this winter.

anyways yeah - so oregon for school
and california for summer break, i stay with friends and my family.

Hypertech chips, most exaust kits, K&N/ KKN filter are all legal and should not void your warranty. Nor should the TT. You can only void the warranty if they prove that the part that broke was caused by the mod. Look around on the board. There have been a few topics on this. I would talk to the dealer first if you are in doubt.

As for the tires.....if it were me....I'd drive the Firestones around for awhile. Let everybody else get in line first. If you get a letter they'll take them if your first there....or 3000th there. Keep a CLOSE eye on them and let them wear out for awhile. Then after a few months of riding on free tires take it in for new ones. :)

As for what I'd get....don't know. Look around the site. There are several posts with several opions on what is best.

Thanks for the help Leebo. so im safe with most Bolt on stuff it seems. stuff that doesnt involve much modification.

after spending some time digging around on the site and seeing what i wanna do.
i think im gonna go to Explorer Express in a few weeks when im down in calif. and get that Xspec suspension put on. then im really thinkin of downsizing the tires- and upsizing the wheels. i love the look of a 20" and with the 1 3/8 drop from the Xspec it should look really nice.

my biggest concern is for the winter i need to put my studded tires back on- which luckily are the same size as the stock firestones. only a little but narrower.
and i dont see the 1 3/8 drop affecting me too much in the snow, ill still will have the 4 wheel drive with studded tires.. as long as the snows not too deep it should be a problem.
do you see jumping back from the stock wheel with studded tires to 20inch wheels with lower profs and vice versa being an issue??
will i need to do an allignment everytime i switch? i would only have to do this 2 times a year

if i had a 2001 X, i would get the Altezza style (euro) tail lights.

there's a 98 by me with them. i hope they start making them for 91-94's soon.

yeah i want those too. cant seem to find them anywhere. i didnt kno they made altezzas for the new X's

lets see now on my list
Xspec suspension
Tinted front windows
20" wheels ( possibly the Weld Racing ones)
some Toyo's or Pirelli or Yoke's
Altezzas rear, and some clear corners
Grill Guard chrome

thats gonna put me over my budget i think :)

yeah, they only make altezza's for 98-01.

lots of websites carry them, the only one i can think of right now is
www.pacificie.com they have lots of lighting stuff. i think there might be cheaper sites out there, but pacificie has a good reputation.

Back