My Ford Touch 2014 Sport

bmoon1492

Reaction score
City, State
Old Saybrook, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Sport
Hey All-
I picked up my 14' Sport with 402a package this weekend and I am pleased with the truck and geeking out over the technology. Three things have occurred and wondered if anyone has experienced this.

1. Instrument cluster screens can take between 30 sec - 2 mins to 'turn on'. This started to happen after I began adding / adj. preferences. As such, I'm assuming it's software related and has something to do with user preferences but I'm shooting in the dark.

2. While filling up this evening , the 8" screen was on and indicating it was performing scheduled maintenance. It only took 2-3 mins. However, on truck restart the cluster screens flickered and the right screen turned on and the left stayed black for the ride home (20mins). When I got home I shut the truck off, opened the door and restarted the engine and both LCD screens were working. They still take the same amount of time to activate.

3. The right cluster screen looses connection with radio artist and song when starting the truck. The fix is to change the channel and it once again communicates with the 8" screen until the next start.

I really love what ford has done with the system and my problems are prob. mild as compared to others but was curious if I'm experiencing ver. 3.5.1 bugs or hardware issues or a combo of the two.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

All of these issues seem larger than the standard "bugs" that MFT has. You might want to get your dealer to check it out. You could have a faulty APIM. The "Scheduled Maintenance" screen is actually just MFT rebooting. Instead of showing a booting screen they make you think it's performing some scheduled act. You should never see this screen (unless you purposefully cause a reboot by pulling the fuse, disconnecting the battery, or running the delayed reboot app). If you do see it, it's because MFT crashed and had to reboot.

As 13Sport says, this is not normal. In fact, the instrument clusters are rarely reported as having issues. See your dealer and get that taken care of.

Your problems would not seem to be normal. I'd see a Dealer and see what they can do. I sure hope this is not the "new" MFT 3.6 update in your new 2014.......

Hey All-
I picked up my 14' Sport with 402a package this weekend and I am pleased with the truck and geeking out over the technology. Three things have occurred and wondered if anyone has experienced this.

1. Instrument cluster screens can take between 30 sec - 2 mins to 'turn on'. This started to happen after I began adding / adj. preferences. As such, I'm assuming it's software related and has something to do with user preferences but I'm shooting in the dark.

2. While filling up this evening , the 8" screen was on and indicating it was performing scheduled maintenance. It only took 2-3 mins. However, on truck restart the cluster screens flickered and the right screen turned on and the left stayed black for the ride home (20mins). When I got home I shut the truck off, opened the door and restarted the engine and both LCD screens were working. They still take the same amount of time to activate.

3. The right cluster screen looses connection with radio artist and song when starting the truck. The fix is to change the channel and it once again communicates with the 8" screen until the next start.

I really love what ford has done with the system and my problems are prob. mild as compared to others but was curious if I'm experiencing ver. 3.5.1 bugs or hardware issues or a combo of the two.
Welcome to the Forum bmoon1492. :wavey:
As others have indicated, bring it to the dealer to have it checked out. There have been very, very few reported problems with the Right and Left screens.
As for your #2, are you saying the 8" screen stayed on after you turned the vehicle off to fill up? Sounds like a possible faulty APIM unit.
Good luck.

Peter

Thanks. Crap. Seriously, I get that squeezing $100 out of a build might be a dealer kickback on each vehicle sold and in general margins are very tight but Ford should really stick with one hardware provider that has six sigma quality. This is just not expensive hardware and does not take a lot of memory or CPU power to manage MFT. It's going into the dealer tomorrow.

Welcome to the Forum bmoon1492
As for your #2, are you saying the 8" screen stayed on after you turned the vehicle off to fill up? Sounds like a possible faulty APIM unit.
Good luck.

Peter

Yeah, sounds like the system crashed and rebooted. I don't mind ford using old hardware and rolling the dice to see if it works but they probably have just in time inventory, meaning this computer is really new stock. This will get old pretty fast. The truck has 361 miles on it.

Your problems would not seem to be normal. I'd see a Dealer and see what they can do. I sure hope this is not the "new" MFT 3.6 update in your new 2014.......

Negative. I have version 3.5.1. According to my account on sync.com or whatever it's called.

All of these issues seem larger than the standard "bugs" that MFT has. You might want to get your dealer to check it out. You could have a faulty APIM. The "Scheduled Maintenance" screen is actually just MFT rebooting. Instead of showing a booting screen they make you think it's performing some scheduled act. You should never see this screen (unless you purposefully cause a reboot by pulling the fuse, disconnecting the battery, or running the delayed reboot app). If you do see it, it's because MFT crashed and had to reboot.

That's awesome. Lol. Maintenance is a crash - reboot.

Back