My Ford Touch - 3 little quirks... is it fixable? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My Ford Touch - 3 little quirks... is it fixable?

NJExplorerFan

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Limited
Bought my Explorer in April this year and absolutely love it. Never really noticed anything wrong with my MFT system until recently as I came to use the system more with colder weather and just playing around with it.

1. Sometimes I can only turn on the Rear Climate Control by pressing the fan arrow button. The On/Off switch can sometimes just not work and the fan speed button is the only way to turn on.
2. When I turn OFF the ambient lighting and get back in the car later, it magically comes back when I click on the lights. Sometimes it won't, sometimes it will. I generally like it off but the damn thing keeps turning on.
3. My MFT screen is set to Autodim and sometimes that functions goes away and it brightens up again. Only way to get back to my Autodim setting is to turn it OFF and back ON again.

Anybody else experience any of these situations and what was your fix? Does this system regularly require a software update at the Ford dealer? Mine was ordered in Feb this year, built in March and I picked it up at the dealer in early April. So, that was the latest software update if it applies. Can I even do a software update remotely with my home WiFi signal?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks Peter. For the ambient lighting TSB, this applies to the 2011-2014 Explorers. Mine keeps the same color I last had it set to. It's a 2015 Limited.

Thanks Peter. For the ambient lighting TSB, this applies to the 2011-2014 Explorers. Mine keeps the same color I last had it set to. It's a 2015 Limited.
I believe the TSB also fixed the ambient lighting from coming back on after it was set to OFF as that was also an issue that many members had. There are a couple of threads on the ambient lighting issues.

Peter

Bought my Explorer in April this year and absolutely love it. Never really noticed anything wrong with my MFT system until recently as I came to use the system more with colder weather and just playing around with it.

1. Sometimes I can only turn on the Rear Climate Control by pressing the fan arrow button. The On/Off switch can sometimes just not work and the fan speed button is the only way to turn on.
2. When I turn OFF the ambient lighting and get back in the car later, it magically comes back when I click on the lights. Sometimes it won't, sometimes it will. I generally like it off but the damn thing keeps turning on.
3. My MFT screen is set to Autodim and sometimes that functions goes away and it brightens up again. Only way to get back to my Autodim setting is to turn it OFF and back ON again.

Anybody else experience any of these situations and what was your fix? Does this system regularly require a software update at the Ford dealer? Mine was ordered in Feb this year, built in March and I picked it up at the dealer in early April. So, that was the latest software update if it applies. Can I even do a software update remotely with my home WiFi signal?

Last few years most updates have been through owner download off syncmyride website and transferred to vehicle by USB. MFT has never been able to update through home or public WiFi.

Go onto www.syncmyride.com and open an account to determine if you have the latest v3.8.

If not, update it and see if your issues are fixed.

If no, try a battery disconnect, no tools, just pull blue clip on + side of Battery.

After all that if no improvement your going to the dealer for diagnosis and possible APIM replacement.

Last few years most updates have been through owner download off syncmyride website and transferred to vehicle by USB. MFT has never been able to update through home or public WiFi.

Go onto www.syncmyride.com and open an account to determine if you have the latest v3.8.

If not, update it and see if your issues are fixed.

If no, try a battery disconnect, no tools, just pull blue clip on + side of Battery.

After all that if no improvement your going to the dealer for diagnosis and possible APIM replacement.

Thanks. I just logged into my account and saw that I do indeed need to get the v3.8 update. Okay, so I've never done this. Is it as simple as plugging in a USB or SD memory card and then just inserting it into the slot in the vehicle? I assume the software upgrade prompts in the system will guide me through?

Thanks. I just logged into my account and saw that I do indeed need to get the v3.8 update. Okay, so I've never done this. Is it as simple as plugging in a USB or SD memory card and then just inserting it into the slot in the vehicle? I assume the software upgrade prompts in the system will guide me through?

Yes it's very easy, but you must use a USB. Use a USB without anything else on it. Make sure it's formatted to FAT32. Download the update to your hard drive then transfer the files to the root directory on the USB, start your vehicle, insert the USB and it will step you through the update. Don't take the USB out as much as you may want to when it appears to be doing nothing. It takes around 30 minutes, you can drive while the update is running.

If your current version is prior to v3.7(and the aforementioned TSB wasn't installed) your ambient lighting will reset every time the MFT does a reboot, which is done while the vehicle is off.

Yes it's very easy, but you must use a USB. Use a USB without anything else on it. Make sure it's formatted to FAT32. Download the update to your hard drive then transfer the files to the root directory on the USB, start your vehicle, insert the USB and it will step you through the update. Don't take the USB out as much as you may want to when it appears to be doing nothing. It takes around 30 minutes, you can drive while the update is running.

If your current version is prior to v3.7(and the aforementioned TSB wasn't installed) your ambient lighting will reset every time the MFT does a reboot, which is done while the vehicle is off.

It mentions the latest update on my MFT system is March 24, 2015 when they built the truck for me. Is the Ambient Lighting TSB fixed in that update?

Oh, how do I know if my USB memory stick is formatted to FAT32?

It mentions the latest update on my MFT system is March 24, 2015 when they built the truck for me. Is the Ambient Lighting TSB fixed in that update?

I'm not sure when 3.7 was released, but the TSB was from Sept. 2014 so I'd expect you'd have it. I think the TSB was included in 3.7, but I never got a complete confirmation on that. I didn't get the TSB or v3.7, but I did install 3.8 and it fixed my ambient lighting issue. Which was resetting to the default color. It seems your issue is something else, but I'd try the update if I were you. The first thing the dealer will do is update it if you take it to them.

Oh, how do I know if my USB memory stick is formatted to FAT32?

Don't know how to walk you through it. Google it or just try it and see if it works, sorry.

I'm not sure when 3.7 was released, but the TSB was from Sept. 2014 so I'd expect you'd have it. I think the TSB was included in 3.7, but I never got a complete confirmation on that. I didn't get the TSB or v3.7, but I did install 3.8 and it fixed my ambient lighting issue. Which was resetting to the default color. It seems your issue is something else, but I'd try the update if I were you. The first thing the dealer will do is update it if you take it to them.
3.7 contained the ambient lighting update.

Peter

Don't know how to walk you through it. Google it or just try it and see if it works, sorry.
If you put your memory stick into the computer and the right click on it when it shows up in File Explorer and select Properties it should tell you. I clicked on mine and it said it was FAT, just like me.:D
When you go to syncmyride they have complete instructions about downloading the file and how to report a successful installation when done.

Peter

The ambient light TSB was for something else. The color would revert to the default setting after a while regardless of what your selection was. Default color was blue for Ford vehicles & white for Lincoln. Your issue seems different.

For point# 3, you are one of the very very few persons who complained, hopefully Ford engineers will realize that this issue exists. What is happening is that every approximately 19-21 hours of system on time (vehicle on), the MFT system restarts in the background, after that, some settings revert to default values. The ambient light was one of them. In V3.8 they fixed the resetting of the Phone ringer & text notifications.

For 1 & 2, I suggest doing a master rest. If that still does not sort it out, then a dealer visit is probably required as also suggested by [MENTION=168816]Sgt1411[/MENTION].

I never had the auto dim turn off when MFT rebooted in the background, hopefully the update will fix your issues.

It is not that the auto dim will turn off. If you set an offset for the auto dim, so that the screen would be dimmer than the default setting, it will revert to the default brightness after a while. Turning auto dim off then on (to day or night mode then back to auto) will change the screen dimming offset back to your selected value.

Thank you guys. I'm gonna try to find the time to do the update this weekend. As busy as it is for me, I actually love this kind of stuff so I wanna do the update and see if it fixes my issues. Otherwise, I am getting an oil change in another 600 miles while I'll pile up quick with my work commute. They're all minor but get annoying after a while, maybe because I'm a little OCD. And after spending all that money on a new truck, I want everything to be PERFECT. I also don't want to fuss around with this type of stuff as my first-born child will be riding in the new Explorer in 2 months :)

Hi guys. Does the 2016 XLT have ambient lighting?
If you order it with the 301A package it does. One of the best resources to find out what models have or don't have is the Fort.com website. That is what I just used. You can compare different models and/or do a 'Build & Price' on a model. You can also do a 'Search' on the forum in the 'Discussion' sub forum for the "Order Guide" to see what is available on the different models. The Ford website also allows you to pull up a brochure in PDF format.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks

If you order it with the 301A package it does. One of the best resources to find out what models have or don't have is the Fort.com website. That is what I just used. You can compare different models and/or do a 'Build & Price' on a model. You can also do a 'Search' on the forum in the 'Discussion' sub forum for the "Order Guide" to see what is available on the different models. The Ford website also allows you to pull up a brochure in PDF format.

Peter

Back