My Gas Pedal Fell Off | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My Gas Pedal Fell Off

af ford 98

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 xlt
I was driving on the highway when my gas pedal suddenly broke off and fell to the floor. The mechanic said the piece cracked and he fixed it for me. Has anyone experienced anything like this? Did you buy a new pedal or just fix the broken one. Now the brake pedal makes a funny clicking feeling and I'm starting to worry that that will break too! My car has 115,000 miles. Is it time to kiss it goodbye?
Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Search the site. This is a common problem with the gas pedal. Never heard of the brake pedal going though. :D

The brake pedal does have a switch attached to it -- which operates the brake lights and other computer doodads. So this might be the clicking thing you mentioned.

I've seen the gas break off alot. Your brake pedal is attached differently so there is no way it's coming off, And if it did, who cares? you only need the one on the right anyway.;)

just had my 99 ex sport with 110,000 miles pedal break off in the middle of a snow storm going around a tight turn on a two lane busy road luckily there was a parking lot to coast into i am so P.O'd and all that was holding it on was 3 little tack welds wow i guess bolting it through the firewall would of cost too much for ford. I am calling ford and telling them to fix it.

HAHA. Call Ford and tell them to fix it. I am sure you will get a very warm response, and no fixin'. This happened on my 96. Not really a big deal, I just pulled on the whole pedal assemble like a hand throttle, and replaced the 3 bolts that came out.

Back