• Register Today It's free!

My HID *Dual Projector* Retrofit

DixieOnMyMind59

Reaction score
City, State
Mobile, Alabama
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Eddie Bauer V8 2WD
Ok, i did this about 2 months ago and im just now posting pics of it....I took the headlights from a 2006 C6 Corvette and retrofitted the twin projectors into a clear lens ebay housing. I work at a Chevrolet dealership in town and i got the HID's from our bodyshop out of two wrecked Corvettes. The low beams are HIDs and the high beams are halogens. Sorry, i have no pics of the fab. job or install...

Heres how it turned out....

Video - Click here to see Video

IMG_8094.jpg

IMG_8089.jpg

IMG_8092.jpg

IMG_8096.jpg

IMG_8102.jpg

IMG_4547s.jpg

IMG_4531s.jpg

IMG_4542s.jpg

IMG_7523.jpg

IMG_7522.jpg

IMG_7518.jpg

Tell me what yall think,

Thanks,
Colton

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

VERY VERY NICE!!!

I have the projectors in my explorer as well but no high beams. I used the factory housings but used the lenses from a diamond clear set from ebay.
They came out looking almost identical to yours except I have the flat mirrored surface inside mine instead of the refracted light setup. I get less scattered light with that setup and am very happy with it. Must be nice having both in your assemblies though. Congrats on a clean install!

Mike

P.S. now you just have to go get the halo projector fog lights from ebay to match. They take a H3 HID kit just in case you're wondering cuz I bought a set for my explorer a month or so ago and they don't use the H1 bulbs the stock assemblies use.

Great Job. Do you have any pics of the install? A writeup would be awesome.

I updated the pics with new ones of what i started with

Thanks...i didn't have time to make a write-up or take pictures when i was fabricating them because i became too frustrated with the project - but don't let that discourage you from trying it yourself....now that i have done it once, i could do it again in a third of the time it took me to do these. Its a very big learning process (i learned how to use a dremel tool - i went through 36 blades) but once you finally get it right you know what not to do.

Thanks,
Colton

I updated the pics with new ones of what i started with

Thanks...i didn't have time to make a write-up or take pictures when i was fabricating them because i became too frustrated with the project - but don't let that discourage you from trying it yourself....now that i have done it once, i could do it again in a third of the time it took me to do these. Its a very big learning process (i learned how to use a dremel tool - i went through 36 blades) but once you finally get it right you know what not to do.

Thanks,
Colton

So did the light assembly fit into the Explorer housing as is, or did you seprate the projectors?

So did the light assembly fit into the Explorer housing as is, or did you seprate the projectors?

I had to separate the projectors because the black plastic bracket that they were mounted to was too tall to fit in the Explorer housing.

Since its getting dark, i may go make a take some pics and make a video of the HIDs at night...

Thanks,
Colton

another question.. why do they look so yellow?

I'd like some more pictures as well. Looks very good!

They do look yellow. I saw a C6 last weekend at night and they didn't appear that yellow(actually around the 5000K range). May just be the camera.

what did you give for the 'Vette lights?

Do you have a pic of the rear of the housing, how did you go about sealing it up?

what did you give for the 'Vette lights?
Well, heres the story....One of the mechanics at my work got the lights from a body man at our body shop - he got them for free. One of the Corvette lights had a cracked in the clear lens on the housing and the other one had a nearly invisible scratch on the clear lens. This was enough for them to have to buy new ones so they were throwing out the old ones and the mechanic got his hands on them before i even knew about them.

He had planned to do an HID retrofit with them on his 02' Cavalier Z24. He had them sitting in his tool box for about 3 months and never got around to using them so one day i asked him about buying them from him. At first he said "no" but when i asked him the next week, he was in need of some money. Since i wanted them so bad i was willing to pay anything so he ended up talkin me up to $150. So to make a long story short, i gave $150 for the Vette lights.

BTW - These lights i bought are over $1000 a piece from GM....look what they're going for on Ebay for just one.... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/05-0...tegoryZ33710QQihZ013QQitemZ230124721139QQrdZ1

Do you have a pic of the rear of the housing, how did you go about sealing it up?

No, i dont have any pics of the rear of the housing. I was hoping no one would ask this, but i sealed them up with Duct tape and - yes - Gorilla glue. It has worked fine for me for over 2 months.

Thanks,
Colton

Colton, nice work, we would really love to see some pics of the fab work if you ever get a chance, gorilla glue or not, if it keeps water out and doesnt melt, WHO CARES!! hahaha

as far as we know you are the first to install both low and high beams (seperate) into the explorer housing

This has rekindled my FX45 Bi-xenon retrofit that have been sitting the closet forever. Mine (if I finish them) are similar to this in appearance, but one projector does high/low and there is another set of cheap projectors in there for added light. I was doing mine in the stock housings though, and making a front cover out of plexi and carbon fiber. I may get some of those cheap black housings and swap them out though. hmmmm :)

You should add an HID kit to the high beams. That would be sweet -since the lows stay on with the highs, there would be no delay between low/high.

Looks good bro. I have been toying with the idea myself just couldn't make the final decision to buy parts from ebay without seeing someone else's to see how they assembled and sealed theirs. Any recomendations on projectors? I've seen lots of different ones on ebay and they all look the same to me.

Consider this another request to get pics of the back side of your lights and even some closeups from the front looking in.

Okay the big question on my mind is how is the light when your driving? It looks good in the driveway but what about on the road?

That's some beautiful stuff!! I have an '07 that I'm looking in to doing an HID retro-fit into. Your thread = great inspiration

Was just looking at the video. I think you should fab up a fiberglass cover around the projector. Sort of like the C6 housings. Would top it off nicely IMO.

I've been meaning to reply to this thread. SWEET job. I wish I had the skill and PATIENCE to do a retrofit. As much as I like using a HID kit and I don't buy into the "glare" argument if you spend the time adjusting, I really like that nice smooth cutoff.

Superb. :thumbsup:

Very nice man- im pressed. You should paint the housing black to reduce glare and gets some bezels around those projectors ! Looks good !

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I also have to say awsome retro fit. But like Celly i don't have the Patience to do that even though i would really like to have it.

Back