My Hot Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My Hot Explorer

Well I'm not sure if this is really a whoops but do you guys think this will buff out?

Fire.jpg

But It's late and I fill give more details later on.

This happened on 4/27/06 at about 6 P.M. I was on my way home and with less then a block to go, the Explorer started to smoke. So I pull over with my house in view and my friend gets out check underneath her and say it's on fire. So I turn it off, hop out and grab a few bags out of the cargo area and tell my friend to call 911. As I went back to see if I can save anything else, I noticed something started to leak underneath and was dripping flames. So at that point I knew it wasn’t worth trying to go back and got clear. In pretty much under five mins the good old Explorer was engulfed in flames.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah a bit of rubbing compound will buff that right out, no worries.

Sorry to hear. Do you know how it started? I'm glad you got out.

Glad no one got hurt!

Yeah no one got hurt which is the important part, it may take time but everything that was lost can eventually be replaced. We are not sure about the exact cause but I'm guessing a seal blew on the transmission and started leaking fluid on the Catalytic converter or an exhaust pipe and ignited. If that is even possible? But because of the extent of the damage it is pretty hard to tell. It's still a bit of a shock and as time goes by I still keep thinking of more things that were lost.

FROADER said:
That sucks man. Tranny or power steering fluid ignites very easy if it hits the hot stuff. Good luck with whatever you decide to do with it.

Well I have no choice but to sign it over to the salvage yard where it was towed, I just need to find the title. My insurance doesn't cover fire so I am at a loss for the Vehicle and all of my belongings.

damn dude that sucks...

I've been meaning to get a fire extinguisher... just havnt found one that had a halfway decent mounting bracket.

Sorry to hear about the vehicle and the insurance :( :thumbdwn:

-Drew

Back