My house was shaking from strong wind! | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

My house was shaking from strong wind!

X~FACTOR

Name is Ray
Reaction score
City, State
Valley Stream, Long Island
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT 4-dr SOHC
People in the northeast know that we have been getting strong winds this past few weeks. Well last night was the motha of all strong winds.

Just as I lay down on my bed, I felt it was shaking. Not much, mind you, but just enough to notice it. The strong wind was SHAKING THE WHOLE HOUSE! Is this normal for a detached 3-floor framed house or is my house in danger of collapsing?

<

Join the Elite Explorers $20 Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

sunbum

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
York, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT
I don't think I'd sleep on the bottom floor. ;)

It's fierce, we lost power for 6-7hrs beginning at 1pm... feel fortunate most of the leaves have fallen or I'm sure there would be more trees down.

My flag holder held firm with the lag bolts though.. woohoo! :usa:

And the yards are cleared of leaves mostly as well... saved me from raking. Though I did have to retrieve the motor cover, a rifle case, some carpet and a couple baskets of my neighbors that had landed in our yard. heh
At least it didn't rain/flood... all the shutters are still on too. It was a lot worse than Isabel when she came through. (Yes, the hurricane :p )

<

Rhett

Let Them Eat Cake
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Cape Girardeau, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Sport 4x4
Flint, Michigan got an 83 mph wind gust yesterday.

<

<

JDraper

Somewhat Functional
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
McVeytown, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'18 XLT
We got rattled pretty good too. Gusts measured at 72 MPH. A whole bunch of houses around me have chunks of shingles missing, and two of the local farms lost at least half of their roofs blown off...Thankfully our house is ok.

<

X~FACTOR

Name is Ray
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT 4-dr SOHC
Originally posted by X~FACTOR
The strong wind was SHAKING THE WHOLE HOUSE! Is this normal for a detached 3-floor framed house?

I just moved in to this house and I don't know the history of it and never experience a house shaking from wind before. Is this sort of normal?

<

JDraper

Somewhat Functional
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
McVeytown, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'18 XLT
Re: Re: My house was shaking from strong wind!

Originally posted by X~FACTOR
I just moved in to this house and I don't know the history of it and never experience a house shaking from wind before. Is this sort of normal?

Yeah, it's normal for a house to move in the wind. The taller the house, the more it will move. If it didn't flex, it would break instead. A lot of how much it moves depends upon what part of the house faces the wind, construction techniques and quality of construction. My house only moves a little because it's well constructed, and the prevailing winds hit on a corner instead of straight on one side. Some of our neighbor's houses face into the wind, and aren't built as well as our house, so they move a lot more.

<

X~FACTOR

Name is Ray
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT 4-dr SOHC
Okay, thanks man. That's a relief. I hate to wake up one morning and see half of the house blown away by the wind. :D

<

blue_97_v8

Reaction score
City, State
Anchorage' Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 limited 4x4
72 mph gusts ain't nothing the biggest we had was 110 MPH now that's wind

<

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
We got hit by 120mph straight line winds here in Phoenix a few years ago. The damage was incredible. We lost the ridge pole from our roof as well as all of the tiles that were attached. Our neighbors chimney fell and crushed their roof and the next day cars throughout the neighborhood had busted windows from flying debris pretty freaky for Phoenix.

<

JDraper

Somewhat Functional
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
McVeytown, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'18 XLT
Originally posted by blue_97_v8
72 mph gusts ain't nothing the biggest we had was 110 MPH now that's wind

It is when you're not used to it, and the houses aren't designed for it. It's only 3 mph off Hurricane strength, and that "ain't nothing" :rolleyes:. Part of the problem here is we had sustained strong winds for 48 hours. It battered and beat stuff up due to the duration as much as due to the velocity.

<

jasonb

Jackstand Wheeler
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Suwanee, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Sport 4x4
Originally posted by sunbum
And the yards are cleared of leaves mostly as well... saved me from raking.

lol! that's what happened here a few days ago! woohoo!

<