My ilder pulley is reversed/tensioner on top, what is this, please help!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My ilder pulley is reversed/tensioner on top, what is this, please help!!!

93explorereb

Reaction score
City, State
Northeast
Year, Model & Trim Level
93/97 4.0 EB/5.0 XLT 4AWD
Greetings:

My tensioner is at the very top! And its a weird one:(! I have no way to make it pivot, other than turning it by its pulley bolt? The idler on the other hand is down on the bottom? Even the under the hood diagram shows the two to be reversed! Additionally, the tensioner has a smooth surfaced pulley, whereas the diagram displays otherwise. The donor tensioners that I have, have pulleys with groves/tracks for the belt to run on. The previous owner did some mickey mousing or something:mad:. I am thinking of just removing this tensioner, and reversing it with the ilder pulley/base. And then attaching one of my donor tensioner/pulley assemblies. I will try to get a picture later on this afternoon. But I can assure you guys that the order is definetly reversed, in addition to the tensioner being much different from all of the other tensioner assemblies, including the one on my under the hood diagram:rolleyes:. What say you? Thanks in advance!:)

Best Regards

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ok, just put the tensioner back in it's correct location and then swap the pully's locations .take the smooth one back up top and the ribbed pully goes with the tensioner ...right ?

....sounds like they did this to make it easier to take the belt on and off for some reason and swapped the pullies to their correct order ....like they had to take it on and off more than once...like they had something wrong with the engine and had to have the belt off for better access. you may want to look around the engine and see if there are any newlly replaced parts or a problem area that you have not found yet .

what i'm trying to say is that they did that for reson either to make it easier to take the belt off or for some other reason.

Weird... I'm pretty sure the idler on my '93 is lower than the tensioner:confused: Now I'll have to go out and check.

just pm another member witha 93 and their's is like mine being a 94 ...tensioner on the bottom and the idler up top .

let me ask you got a/c compressor ? if you don't then maybe they used a a/c belt and took the tensioner up top to take up the slack out of the belt
( thanks josh ) ..... that may be the reason.

Thanks again guys! yes the truck does have a compressor, its just that the tensioner has no way to adjust the pivot, other than via the center pulley bolt. And the ilder pulley is on the bottom where the tensioner should be according to the diagram under the hood. So I will try to reverse them. I have 4 additional idler pullies, and 2 extra tensioner assemblies. And yes the engine has numerous new like parts throughout the engine compartment. It seems as though the last owner really took care of it, it is very clean and orderly. The alternator had become frozen and the belt popped. I will be in touch and keep you guys posted, thanks again!:)
just pm another member witha 93 and their's is like mine being a 94 ...tensioner on the bottom and the idler up top .

let me ask you got a/c compressor ? if you don't then maybe they used a a/c belt and took the tensioner up top to take up the slack out of the belt
( thanks josh ) ..... that may be the reason.

you have to replace the whole bracket by the looks of it . i was in the scrap yard today an found a 94 explorer with the tensioner up top an the idle below. checking it over an this is what im looking for myself an relized the bracket to the block is different. but it looks it will swap.

This is exactly what the situation is! The tensioner that is on the truck now is a totally different tensioner. Its a Ford product, but it is way different from the original one. I will be scouting for brackets tommorow! They will not be hard to find. I have yet to even see a setup like the one my truck has now, in any junkyard thus far. I find it to be easier to have the tensioner on the bottom, and the idler pulley up top. The belt goes on/off much much easier. My guess is the bracket selection will be broad say from early nineties to 2000 or thereabouts. I am still tryimng to figure out where the heck this particular tensioner goes to, even though it is a Ford product? And yes pictures are on the way,thanks again guys, you have been a wealth of information:cool:!!!!
you have to replace the whole bracket by the looks of it . i was in the scrap yard today an found a 94 explorer with the tensioner up top an the idle below. checking it over an this is what im looking for myself an relized the bracket to the block is different. but it looks it will swap.

My problem regarding the whole tensioner/ilder pulley being reversed, has been totally resolved!!! I changed the entire bracket, and everything else came into play. Thanks again guys you have been extremely helpful!! The motor runs well too, no ticking or anything!

Best Regards:)

Back